Noob question about suspended/swirling yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kanderna

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Hi All -

This past weekend I had a Sierra Nevada Kellerweis. I noticed something interesting:

"To serve, pour two-thirds into a glass, swirl and pour the rest."

I rarely take the time to read the labels, so it's very possible (and even likely) that I've missed this suggestion on other beers.

I've been very much of the "pour carefully to not disturb the sediment" variety.

So how do we know when this "swirling method" is appropriate?

Hi All -

This past weekend I had a Sierra Nevada Kellerweis. I noticed something interesting:

"To serve, pour two-thirds into a glass, swirl and pour the rest."

I rarely take the time to read the labels, so it's very possible (and even likely) that I've missed this suggestion on other beers.

I've been very much of the "pour carefully to not disturb the sediment" variety.

So how do we know when this "swirling method" is appropriate?

Generally, you swirl for hefeweizens, a German unfiltered wheat beer, because the yeast is part of the flavor profile in those beers.

According to BJCP guidelines, if the Weizen beer is "mit hefe" (hefeweizen) then the yeast is intended to be stirred in. The Krystalweizens, however, are intended to be served filtered and as clear as possible.

This is the only style of beer that I know that is intended to be served like that though, are there others?

I had a Sierra Nevada Kellerweis a few weeks ago and LOVED it. !!

I make sure I always get the yeast in my brews - I like the taste.

Its not a must, but I like doing it for all weizen style beers. That includes Hefeweizen, Dunkelweizen and Witbier.

Back