Finishing the Beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rdines

Reaction score
Hi

I have a batch of Pilsner ready for bottling. I would like to get it as near to "factory" perfect as possible but have questions about how to go about it.

First, I know that if I filter the batch into bottles the amount of yeast in the beer will be minimal and hence carbonation will not take place. On the otherhand I do not want a large amount of yeast in the bottle.

Secondly, I would like the beer to retain it's head. What can be done here? Would natural carbonation be OK?

What can I do?

Thanks

Most filters available will not remove the yeast. It takes a 0.3 micron or smaller filter to do that.

Head-retention has to be built into the beer, since it is determined by the protein content. About all you can do at this point is ensure your glasses are as clean as possible before pouring.

If it's had enough time to clear you really shouldn't need to filter - I ferment most of my beers 4 weeks, typically 2 primary and 2 secondary before bottling and I get very little sediment. Filtering might allow you to speed up the process, but in most cases I don't think it's removing anything that wouldn't settle out over time. Sometimes I do have a light chill haze, but after a week in the refrigerator even that is gone. I'm not concerned enough about clarity to do anything more than using whirfloc in the boil, but I do end up getting very clear beer on that timetable.

Don't worry too much about "factory" beer; the biggest thing that filtering does is improves clarity and a beer that was in the fermenter for a while will be pretty clear. Enjoy YOUR beer as it is, differences from factory and all!

Back