Lagering Fridge Went Dead

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shildebr

Reaction score
I made my first lager a few weeks ago and have been out of town for most of the time since brewing. It stayed in the primary in the refrigerator at around 45-50 degrees for about 5 weeks. A week ago I took the primary out of the fridge and let it rest at room temperature for a day or so, then racked to a secondary, added gelatin, and continued to let it rest for another day.

Then I put the secondary back in the fridge, dropped the temp to around 40, and left town for another week. I got back today and checked on my lager and found that the GFCI outlet that the refrigerator is on had been tripped and the fridge was off. The temperature was about 70 inside the refrigerator.
I'm not sure how long it had been off, but not more than 6 days.

What implications, if any, does this have for my beer? Will it produce any off flavors? I did not test with a hydrometer, but I have to assume that after 5 weeks, the fermentation was pretty much complete. Thanks for the help!

Well, if the fridge got down to lagering temp before it died and you never opened in in the meantime, it would've probably warmed up slowly. So you probably weren't at 70 until right near the end of the week. Might have some slight off flavors, but I'd guess they would be minimal if any. Especially since it was so late in the process.

OK, thats reassuring. So how long do you think I should lager for? Should I increase lagering time because of this?

Back