Apfelwein Carbonating, how long until I can refrigerate after adding sugar?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

muph

Reaction score
I've had trouble finding info on this, I've read somewhere that after 4 days carbonation is complete for wine. I know with beer you have to wait 3 weeks at 70 degrees for conditioning. Does anyone know how long before Apfelwein is carbonated so I can refrigerate?

Thanks for the info. Why so long though? I was under the impression that it only takes a week or so for carbonation and with beer it is left longer to age. Is there a reason behind 4 weeks (conditioning)? Or is that just how long it takes for the beverage to carbonate?

Guess I'll just test it after a week or so to see how carbonation is. I'm sure the plastic bottle will be much harder when it's ready.

1 week, slight carbonation that fades in an open container after about 15 mins or so.. 2 week, carbonated like champagne.. 3 weeks, carbonated like beer. Just an update for others trying to figure this out and having trouble. This is what I've found out. They were bottled after 1 month carboy time.

Drinking after 1 week bottling has acceptable results, anything after that is more or less preference.

Back