Emergency Hop Question!! Grains are steeping!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lgtg

Reaction score
Making half batch tonight, grains are steeping on way to boil. Directions say to add 2oz boiling hops, after 30 add 1 oz finish hops. This was for a five gl batch.

I have two packs of pellets, Williamette (making a stout) do NOT want to over hop here, I know to make the half batch it would be half of what the directions say to use...BUT, do not know what the nominal weight of this pack is!!!

Anyone out there with a best fit??

I remember the guy at the LHBS telling me when he put out two packs of pellets to use one whole pack at beginning of boil and then half of another at thirty minutes. I just got a little "foggy" after a few days, started the steep and then panicked. It made sense after sweating a few pounds though. I'll think I'll be okay.

Thanks for your, um...help.

Larry

He only gave me two packs, I figured that he would have given me three for the five gallon recipe

(2) packs for two ounces (as perscribed by the directions, I only used one)

(1) pack for the finish hops at thirty (He instructed me to use half)

I think I got it right, If I have massive acid reflux in a month I'll re-consider...

I use 2oz of Willamette@60mins for my Special Bitters and it is definitely NOT over hopped in the least. One of my best recipes actually.

:)

What you said about the Willamette is almost verbatim what me LHBS guy said.

This stout is on the roast, chocolate, rich side. Not the dry, hoppy side. I did what I thought was right.

What is the gypsum for?

Like I said, it's a half batch being fermented in a Beer Machine keg. Pressure valve, sediment cup with de-foaming disk and psi gauge on the outside.

He gave me one whole vial of WL yeast (irish ale?) Still have the vial in the kitchen. He advised pitching the whole vial, that worries me a little but in good faith, I pitched the whole thing man!

I need new rugs anyhow...here's hoping.

Back