Extra Hop/Yeast sediment in bottles

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

permo

Reaction score
Well, I wasn't paying attention when bottling an IPA of mine and I got a good amount of yeast/hop sediment in the bottling bucket. As a result, I have a nice 1/8 inch layer of crap on the bottom of my bottles. The good news is that they carbed quick! I am hoping that there isn't any bad news.

Do you think this little bit of gunk could negatively affect my beer? It isn't going to be as clear as I like and I may pour through a strainer..but I am hoping it isn't ruined.

I was so used to bottling a nottingham fermented beer that when I switched to US-05 I wasn't ready for the loose cake at the bottom. That notty just sticks to the bottom.

A typical IPA is hoppy to begin with. A small amount of hop residue in the bottle won't be noticeable. Same thing for the yeast. Try to chill the bottles lower than a typical serving temp and this should help improve the clarity. Otherwise RDWHAHB!

I did an experiment a couple years back and didn't rack my pumpkin into a seondary. Consequentially I ended up with a huuuuge amount of pumpkin goop inside the bottles. I found that the longer you chilled them the tighter the sediment cake will be as well as the clearer your beer will be.

Once they are carbed stick them in the freezer for a couple of weeks...or longer, and pour carefully.

I found a beer (not one of these) that had been in the back of my fridge for 3 months, I could and did literally upend the bottle over the glass, and no yeast came off the bottom of the bottle.

Back