Worth the wait?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jma99

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I just can't seem to motivate myself to bottle.
Kegging is so easy!

Back in Feb I brewed an imperial stout.
1.080 OG
1.010 today

I gave up trying to find time to bottle, and kegged it!

9.2% on tap?!

Did I goof? Should I have waited longer?

My friends and I have taken up brewing and we kegged out the gate as well. So far we've yet to bottle a batch. We've kegged, carbonated and then tasted it within a week each time.

I'm not sure what the advantages of bottling and/or aging are yet. Haven't gotten that far in to the research. I suppose you could condition in the keg like you can in a bottle? Maybe someone wiser will chime in??? :mug:

I think it depends on the type of beer. I would bottle an imperial stout, Belgian triple, etc. because it's not something I would necessarily want everyday. I would keg a kolsch, pale ale, etc. because I can drink it everyday and share with friends. Every now and then, when I have a party or a good friend over I can pull out an imperial stout and share it. I also think it's cool because you can taste the beer as it matures, you can keg it but then the keg will be in your "kegerator" taking the space of maybe another beer.
As far as differences, I have read that beer mature differently in bottle, the yeast creates interesting phenols, esters and all that good stuff. Take a look at Belgian beers, they are almost always bottle conditioned (aged). I bet they would taste different from a keg.

Latest posts

Back