advice needed

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

themashedone

Reaction score
I want to brew a heffweizen with banana and clove. now the questions, how much to add of both, I want to put the bananas in the secondary but how do i pasteurize them, and when should i add the clove. any advice would be appreciated.

yea i want a little stronger taste however i do not want to be over powered. and i want to go natural im not all about the flavor extracts.

The best way to get the banana flavor is the yeast. The best way to RUIN your beer with clove flavor is to use actual cloves.

Seriously, if you want those flavors to be strong, read up on how to manipulate the yeast and your mash to incease precursors for those flavors.

The characteristic banana and clove flavors are kind of by-products of the yeast. no actual banana or clove needed.

Look into some german yeast to give you that flavor profile.. If you want more flavor from the yeast you might need to kick up the fermentation temps a little..

I ruined a batch of beer with just 1/4tsp of powdered clove (reached for wrong jar, thought it was nutmeg). My advice...don't use it.

Have you made a Heff with Heff yeast yet?...the traditional way?

Maybe try it the traditional way first before you get creative.

If you crank the fermentation temp up on a hefe made with 3068 you might end up with a beer that only a monkey would love. I would tinker with fermentation temps to get the flavor profile you are looking for.

...Also you have 2 threads going on this same topic. Usually, one is enough.

You aren't getting any different answers here than you are here.

azscoob said:
If you crank the fermentation temp up on a hefe made with 3068 you might end up with a beer that only a monkey would love. I would tinker with fermentation temps to get the flavor profile you are looking for.

+1... I would start towards the high end of the suggested yeast temps..

...Also you have 2 threads going on this same topic. Usually, one is enough.

You aren't getting any different answers here than you are here.

So I'm starting to wonder if the reason the OP did that is she/he is really gung-ho on brewing a hefe that also has the additives, and in fairness very few people have really addressed that question.

I hope the OP won't take offense, but I find this thread really funny. "If I want to make a wine with grassy notes, how much grass do I add?" :p But hey, if that's what the OP wants...

clove flavor happens on the lower end, banana happens on the higher end. I'd start fermenting at 65 and after about three days crank it up to 70 or so and you'll get a pretty strong mix of both esters that the yeast makes

clove flavor happens on the lower end, banana happens on the higher end. I'd start fermenting at 65 and after about three days crank it up to 70 or so and you'll get a pretty strong mix of both esters that the yeast makes

Brilliant in it's simplicity. Thumbs up. :ban: ... now where is that clove smiley?

ha thanks for the thumbs up,

also to the op though, in my experience hefe yeast can produce some pretty noticeable hot alcohol flavors. don't let it get to far above 72

I ruined a batch of beer with just 1/4tsp of powdered clove (reached for wrong jar, thought it was nutmeg). My advice...don't use it.

I would not say this necessarily dictates NEVER using clove (though as I said before, I find the idea of using clove to get clove flavor in a Hefeweizen mildly hilarious, no offense to the OP). Powdered clove is powerful stuff, as I found out once when making a spice rub that called for it. If one were making a holiday brew or something, I don't think there would be any problem in adding a judicious amount of WHOLE cloves, possibly cracked.

edb23 said:

Informed.... Good to know!! Got my thumbs up!!

Latest posts

Back