Activated Smack Pack too soon

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ohiodad

Reaction score
So today my box from Austin Homebrew supply shows up and I'm very disturbed by it's condition.. First.. The malt extract bucket leaked all over the box.. Second and more disturbing one of the smack packs is activated and puffed up. Problem is I can't brew for 2 weeks due to leaving on vacation this week. I threw the yeast in the fridge... Is it a complete loss?? What do you guys think?

Sorry to hear about your shipping problem.
First thing you should do is contact Austin Home Brew. They are a reputable company and they don't want their customers receiving their products in that condition.

If you have to use the yeast, make a started a few days before brew day. If it takes off great. If not then you know it is bad and you have time to get some more yeast. (I try to keep some dry yeast on hand for these very situations.)

Good luck and let us know the outcome.

Is the smack pack completely puffed up or only partially? I read somewhere that they sometimes puff up a little without being smacked and it just indicates that it's very fresh healthy yeast. Can you feel if the nutrient pack is still intact inside?

I had one delivered that was partially puffed up with the nutrient pack still intact and I brewed with it fine.

Muss said:
Is the smack pack completely puffed up or only partially? I read somewhere that they sometimes puff up a little without being smacked and it just indicates that it's very fresh healthy yeast. Can you feel if the nutrient pack is still intact inside?

I had one delivered that was partially puffed up with the nutrient pack still intact and I brewed with it fine.

Hmm well I went down last night and it does seem to be only partially puffed up.. Can't find the activator when I move it around though. I threw it in the refrigerator and it hasn't gone down any since then though...

RichBrewer said:
Sorry to hear about your shipping problem.
First thing you should do is contact Austin Home Brew. They are a reputable company and they don't want their customers receiving their products in that condition.

If you have to use the yeast, make a started a few days before brew day. If it takes off great. If not then you know it is bad and you have time to get some more yeast. (I try to keep some dry yeast on hand for these very situations.)

Good luck and let us know the outcome.

Good news! Mark from Austin Homebrew Supply just contacted me and said they would reship my order!! Guess you are right they are indeed a standup company!

ohiodad said:
Good news! Mark from Austin Homebrew Supply just contacted me and said they would reship my order!! Guess you are right they are indeed a standup company!
Great to hear that. Who wants to shop at Austin Home brew? I know I do! :rockin:

Let us know how everything works out.

Back