First time brew - Airlock quest

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oconnell91

Reaction score
Hello Homebrewtalk!

I recently just brewed my first batch, an IPA a week from yesterday. I followed all instructions carefully, sanitized EVERYTHING.

The brew has been fermenting with the airlock in my basement which is around 70 Fahrenheit since. The airlock has small bubbles in the neck and there is a very small amount of water in it also. My directions said the bubbling would stop it 4-6 days then I would proceed to bottling. After doing some research I see usually there is a lot more water in the airlock.

Did I do something wrong?

Is it ruined?

What should be my next step?

Thank you for all the help, everyone!

A picture would be worth 1000 words here, but as long as there is enough water/sanitizer/vodka to seal the airlock you are golden.

First... Welcome and congrats on your first brew.

Airlock activity a week or two after pitching the yeast is common, for me at least.

First step should prolly be filling the airlock with the proper amount of water, most have a fill line.

As long as there is nothing fuzzy or clear-plastic-film-looking growths in your carboy/bucket you should be good. A picture would help us guess at whether you've lost the batch or not, but my guess is you're still ok, or you would have asked, "What the buh-jeezers is growing in my fermenter?"

I'd say take a gravity reading, and if you've hit the target final gravity, go on to priming and bottling, if not give it some time. You want to be sure you've gotten pretty close to the FG before you try and bottle.

Let us know how it goes

:mug:

No I did not add water to airlock to begin with... here is a picture

IMG_5058.jpg

You're supposed to add water or sanitation solution into your airlock before placing it onto your fermenter. Just add water/solution now and you should be fine. The little bit of water you see in there now is just condensation.

There's your answer- the airlocks are designed to be filled with liquid(vodka, sanitizer or water) to the 'fill line'. You probably are OK because plenty of CO2 has been outgassing preventing contamination, but I would add liquid now.

Also, while the directions of "let ferment for 4-5 days, then bottle" are fairly common with kits, they are not the best. Far better directions would be "let ferment until fermentation is completely finished as indicated by stable Specific Gravities over a 3-4 day period. Then let sit for an additional week to let the yeast finish and drop to the bottom resulting in a much more clear product".
Good Luck!

You're supposed to add water or sanitation solution into your airlock before placing it onto your fermenter. Just add water/solution now and you should be fine. The little bit of water you see in there now is just condensation.

Yep, this^.

As stated, put in water or sanitizer to "FILL LINE" and it will be fine.

As for length of time for fermentation, 4-5 days to bottling is a too soon. Kit instructions are often vague, incomplete and misleading. Leave your brew in the fermenter for at least 7-10 days. Then check your specific gravity with a hydrometer. It is the ONLY way to insure that ferm is done, which is critical for avoiding "bottle bombs". Take an FG (final gravity) reading at 10 days, another a couple days later. If they are the same, then fermentation is done and it is safe to bottle.

EDIT: what Jim says above.

I would not stress too much about, it is hard to get a infection since the yeast will take over rather quickly but there is still a chance so it is better to play it safe in the future. I generally give my beers two weeks in the fermenter before bottling and once you get a pipe line going the wait wont be too bad. Welcome to the club! :mug:

As others have said 5 days is too soon, I always leave my beers in the fermenter for 2 weeks before checking my gravity reads, patience is key for a brewer!

Back