Clear Bottles

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JBrady

Reaction score
I was reading a post about clear bottles somewhere else, do clear bottles really put me at greater risk of skunking my beer????

thanks for info

They sure do. If you use clear or green bottles be sure to keep them out of the light. If you store your bottles in case boxes you'll be OK.
Nothing wrong with clear glass, just be aware and store your beer properly.

JBrady said:
I was reading a post about clear bottles somewhere else, do clear bottles really put me at greater risk of skunking my beer????

thanks for info
yes, but not if you keep them out of the light, which should be done anyway. i've used clear bottles a couple of times and never had a problem. everything stays in my brew closet, which only sees the tiniest bit of light when i'm grabbing something out of it.

a couple commercial brewers use green bottles and they don't protect as well as the brown bottles. try a Heineken or a Pilsner-Urkel from a green bottle and you can taste the skunk a bit. then try one of the mini kegs of Heineken and you'll see the difference.

i'm sure there's much more info on the forums too. try searching "skunk light green clear" or something ;)

I bottle with at least 12 clear or green bottles every batch. I always use them in the house and out of the light. I have never had a skunked beer. Any beer I take somewhere it might get in the light or ones I give away, I always use brown.

Latest posts

Back