cold crash question!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RippinLt

Reaction score
So after my brew has fermented for 3 weeks I want to crash it and then bottle. Is it ok to cool it that severely and then add sugar and put it into the bottle, then cap?
OR
Do you cold crash, then let it come back to room temperature and THEN bottle.

You are liable to start a religious war with this question. :D Everybody agrees that you can crash and then bring it back up. Some people think that you can bottle cold, but that you should still use an amount of sugar appropriate to the highest temperature that the beer post fermentation. I've always done the latter, but for simplicity you might want to consider letting the temperature come back up.

I'm not into bottling, but it seems to me that it wouldn't make a difference. The sugar and yeast concentration would be near the same either way.

The bottles will come up to at least cellar temp anyways.

The yeast will carbonate when that happens.

I'm not into bottling, but it seems to me that it wouldn't make a difference. The sugar and yeast concentration would be near the same either way.

The bottles will come up to at least cellar temp anyways.

The yeast will carbonate when that happens.

There's a lot more to it than that, particularly with regards to the amount of priming sugar you need to add.

Latest posts

Back