30qt stovetop / 1500W electric aluminum kettle

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rshortt

Reaction score
Hi everyone, I'm thinking about something and I wanted to run it by you. Right now I am using a 20qt SS pot on my glass top stove. It's a decent stove but I can only keep a boil going on about 2.5-3 gallons of water with the lid off, even with a towel duct taped around it (ghetto, I know, but I wanted to brew).

I am thinking of doing this:

Get a 30qt aluminum pot from a propane turkey fryer kit. These pots are usually 12" in diameter which is why I'd prefer that over a "normal" 30qt pot which from what I can tell are usually about 15" in diameter. I know that 30qt is pushing it for full boils and boilovers are a concern. I don't mind boiling a bit less then adding some extra pre-boiled water near the end. I am also worried about cracking my glass stove stop so I am leary of going much bigger (I'd do 32qt if I found it though).

I would fit that pot with a 120v 1500W element and use the stove plus that element on full to reach a boil (5-6 gallons), and then turn the stove element down (or off) to maintain a boil.

I am guessing that the 1500W element could not maintain a full boil by itself, and I actually would not want it to be too vigorous as to avoid boil overs. I don't want to control the intensity of the 1500W element if I don't have to (PID??).

I would also fit a ball valve to the kettle and build a decent immersion chiller to fit it's height (whatever length). This should allow me to do full boil extract brews in the comfort of my kitchen at a minimal effort. My efficiency and lack of free time is limiting my time to brew (work, wife, 4 kids) so I am looking at improving my system to make things faster and easier.

Don't ask me about 240v or propane as I'm not interested, or can't for various reasons. :)

So, is that a plan or what? :mug:

Thanks!
-Rob

If you have a 20 amp gfi outlet available, I would go w/ a 2000 watt element rather than the 1500. With perhaps basic insulation around the kettle (wrap a beach towel or blanket etc...) you may not even need the stove and can brew wherever you like. JMO

IME, the additional 500w makes a diference.

Thanks, I've been thinking about the 2000W also. I'm not sure if my outlets are 15A or 20A to tell you the truth. Also I'd like to be cautious on the boil over control. Maybe I could wire an inline switch to the element in case I need to quickly turn it off.

I deffinately see the value in the extra 500 watts.

2KW tops out at boiling around 5 gallons, even in an insulated kettle. You'll need more power for "full" 5 gallon batches - perhaps supplement with your stove or run two elements to different circuits?

Duh. Too early. Just re-read your post. You're already planning on using the stove. Stove + 2KW will work just fine.

Back