What should I expect to taste?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beermaker

The NAVY WALRUS
Reaction score
:( I wasnt thinking when I installed a progammable thermostat in the house a few moths ago. I set the day time temp to 80, then to 74 at 5 pm, then 72 from 9 till 8 am. I ferment in the house where the tile floor is usually around 70 ish. But since the day time temp has been going to 80 for around 9 hrs, I have a fear I messed up the fermenting. I tasted a few of my beers, and they have an off flavor. Not real bad but not style specifac. Could the higher temps have started to give off flavors from the yeast?:confused: :confused:

If your ferment temps are ranging between 72-80, that's either at the high end or well above it for many yeasts. Very possible you're getting some off flavors.

There are lots of suggestions here about ways to cool your fermenters (evaporative cooling using a wet t-shirt or towel and a fan, water bath with ice packs, etc.) Search for "fermentation temperature" or "temperature control".

I have a chest freezer I am installing a temp controller on tonight. It is in the garage, but I will hold it at a steady 68 until I am done. Then I can unplug it till I need it again.

I had this happen with some beer I was letting bottle condition on our second floor. I had it up there towards the end of our cold weather because it was actually too cold in the basement and they were taking forever to conditon. As the temps rose I kind of forgot about them and the cozy 68-70F room they were conditioning in climbed to 76-78F. I noticed the telltale "hot" flavor in a couple of the bottles and promptly moved them to the basement which had warmed up to 68-70F.

The good news is that if you get them away from the warm temps and let them condition longer at a cooler temp the flavor will improve.

Cool, Thanks. I have them all kegged in my coolr now. Hope some of the flavors finish out. They are still drinkable, but the 2 batches of Sierra Nevada now taste more Begianish.:mad:

Latest posts

Back