Step mashing math with extract and grain.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pith

Reaction score
Kay, I want to do a maltase rest (which would normally involve mashing as normal, cooling mashed wort to 35-40C (95-104F), adding more malt, leaving for a while, then raising back to mash temp to convert the new dextrins and starches) to give me lots of glucose in the wort for ester production in a weizen. This would be easy if I were starting with malt, in which case I could use Palmer's formula (http://www.howtobrew.com/section3/chapter16-3.html), but the thing is, I'll be using malt extract instead of grain for my 35-40C wort, so I have no idea whether I need to change the number i put in for ratio of water to grain.

Long story short, I need to get from 95 degrees up to 152 degrees, and I want a final volume after boil of 4gal. I have a 0.5gal electric kettle, so I'm happy to start out with a fairly small mash so that half a gallon of boiling water will bring it up to mash temp.

Is it simple to convert the numbers, or should I just add boiling water to the finished maltase rest until I can get it back to mash temp and then remember he much I used?

Back