Wyeast Belgian Witbier 3944 brew suggestions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

joyceman

Reaction score
Im looking for suggestions for recipes styles using this yeast. I was thinking about a Flat Tire or Dubbell. Any other suggestions?

(I already have a Witbier fermenting and dont feel like having 10 Gals of it on hand.)

I'd be inclined to try a belgian triple. The flavor you get from this yeast can be soft and subtle and double or beer with dark grains may mask these flavors. Heck, why not try a belgian IPA, I've never heard of one using that yeast. The hops may mask the yeast flavors a little, but if you pick the right hops combination it may accentuate the yeast flavors.

I've never drank a Flat Tire but I can tell you from experience that they're a pain in the ass when you've got somewhere to be. On the other hand, I have had many Fat Tire ales that I thoroughly enjoyed.

I too think dark grains would mask the subtle flavors of the yeast and would suggest a triple or maybe a Belgian strong golden ale.

Ill go with a triple, but the longer time frame will try my patience. Thanks for the advice all.

I used it in this recipe:

Adventures in Home Brewing's Eve Is In the Garden Grand Cru

Malt Base: 5 lbs DME OR 6 lbs. LME , 2.5 lbs. Honey
Specialty Grains: 1 oz Coriander Seed (crushed), 1 oz Orange Peel
Hops: 1 oz (3 HBU) Vanguard (Boiling), 1 oz (3 HBU) Hallertauer (Aroma)

Suggested Yeast White Labs Belgian Wit , Wyeast 3944

Instructions:
1. Add Extra Light Dry Malt Extract and Honey, to 3 gallons of hot water, stir well to dissolve. Bring to a boil, add 1 oz Vanguard Hops, boil for 45 min.
2. Add Coriander Seed and Orange Peels (use a hop sack for this step), and boil for 5 minutes, add 1 oz Hallertauer Hops and boil for 5 minutes. Remove from heat.
3. Pour unfermented beer (wort) slowly into fermentation vessel containing enough cold water to total 5 gallons.
4. Let temperature drop to approx. 80 degrees. Take hydrometer reading, sprinkle or “pitch” Yeast on top. Affix cover and airlock to fermenter and stabilize temp. at approx. 67 – 72 degrees.
5. Airlock should be active within 24 hours, with fermentation slowing down by the end of day 7, the clearing stage is beginning. Siphon beer into clean carboy, affix airlock and cover to keep light out and let clear for approx. 7 days.
6. When ready to bottle, boil priming sugar in approx. 1 cup water for 1 minute, add to bottom of bottling bucket, then siphon beer into the same bucket (take final hydrometer reading while siphoning into bucket). Fill bottles to 1 “ from top of bottle and cap.
7. Store beer at 67 – 70 degrees for 7 – 10 days minimum.

O.G. 1.067
F.G. 1.013

It actually finished around 1.008. I fermented in a swamp cooler to keep it around 65F. It's been in bottle for a couple weeks but already tastes amazing! The style is close to a Belgian Golden Ale. I'm planning on using this recipe to experiment with a couple other Belgian yeast strains.

I made a Allagash White style beer with this yeast. 60% pilsner 40% wheat, tettnang and saaz hops, ginger, coriander and orange peel. It's delicious.

Edit: sorry, didn't see that you didn't want another witbier... if you change your mind, this is a good one.

i just added 3944 to a berliner that was fermenting with lacto for 5 days and a 60/40 wheat that was fermenting with jolly pumpkin calabeza blanca for a couple weeks. I don't know how they'll turn out- but hopefully like beer.

Back