I like this time at night on HBT

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks Pappy. I started at 9:00. Definitely understand what you are talking about. Going to start from the beginning now. I'll still have HBT open. :mug:

Maybe this?

LBR, exactly just like that. Used to keep the carboy wrapped in a wet towel in an attempt to control ferment temps. Decided I needed something better. Hope this helps me make better beer.

Never could get into classical music. Give me a good band,wish I had seen Led Zeppelin or Pink Floyd, and Id be happy. Seen Stevie Nicks, Fleetwood Mac, Bruce Springsteen, great shows all of them.

Hope all have a great evening.

Sounds like a good brew day in Hefe Hood castle!

How bout some of this, not live but a cool song.

Last edited by a moderator:
Pappy, or anybody - ever gone to a symphony concert? I haven't. I'm not ashamed to admit I wouldn't mind getting dressed up in a Tux (it would be rented) and my wife dressed up in a beautiful evening gown. A carriage ride to a sypmhony concer hall. What symphony? Not really sure, probably Vivaldi, or Beethoven maybe. Pachelbels' Canon in D would be bliss.

I have and it's wonderful.

My favorite classical concerto. Rachmaninoff's Piano Concerto 2.

There are 3 movements to this concerto, with the second being my favorite. Eric Carmen wrote the popular All By Myself in the 70's, based on the theme from this concerto. If you listen to the concerto all the way through (9:00 and beyond), and you're familiar with the Carmen song, you'll definitely hear the similarity.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=21z-K5ChWbE

PP and Dan, thanks for sharing some classical music. I enjoy it in small doses and know next to nothing about it.

My limited exposure to it growing up is all cartoon related - Fantasia, Peter and the Wolf, bugs bunny 'kill the rabbit'...I still have no idea of composers and think 'which cartoon did this music go to?' when I hear familiar classical music.

PP and Dan, thanks for sharing some classical music. I enjoy it in small doses and know next to nothing about it.

My limited exposure to it growing up is all cartoon related - Fantasia, Peter and the Wolf, bugs bunny 'kill the rabbit'...I still have no idea of composers and think 'which cartoon did this music go to?' when I hear familiar classical music.
:)

I received the rest of the parts last Wednesday night.

5.25" drive bay drawer. I tend to lose the small parts that go to my computer, thumb drives, bluetooth modules, etc... This way they are all together.

A bay adapter so I can mount the 2.5" SSD in the 3.5" bay. Unfortunately, the connectors for the drives built into the case did are to thick to connect to a 2.5" drive.

Front mounted multi-card reader. It also has two USB3 connectors in it.

This box was damaged when received. Fortunately, the cooler was intact.

On the right is the heatsink that comes with the 4770k processor. On the left is the one I'm using. IMO, if you are going to build your own system your usage of it is liable to be more then what the stock heatsink was designed to handle.

I removed a 1.5TB magnetic HDD from my old system and installed it in the new one. I had stopped using it as it's reporting a fair amount of errors and could fail at any time. That isn't really an issue with the new system as it is being used for redundant data storage only. Nothing operational is on it, and everything has copies on my network drive.

I took the wireless card out of my old system and am using it in the lone pci expansion slot available in the new one. It's an ABGN card, so not awesome. Not bad for my network though.

I also removed a 120mm fan from the old system and am using it in the new one. It was a relatively new addition to that system, and I didn't like the LED's that were in the old one. In addition, the old fan was the only thing in the whole system still using a 4 pin power connector. I needed to remove the connector for the 4 pin rail and replace it with the optional SATA power connector that came with the power supply. I wasn't going to be able to reach the 1.5TB drive I salvaged from the old system with the last SATA connector available on the other rail. I will also need to be able to attach the optional SATA power connector on the motherboard once I get an actual video card for the system. A fringe benefit is that I'm using a thermally controlled power connector on the main board for the front mounted fan now.

A nice feature of the new system is that I have a plug on the motherboard for USB 3 ports that remain hot when the system is turned off. So I have two front mounted USB 3 ports that I can use to charge things with the computer turned off.

After setting the system up the first time I was removing applications installed by default from the Fedora KDE spin I had installed and accidentally removed something I needed to get the session to load. That was especially annoying as no error was displayed, I simply wasn't able to log into the system after a reboot.

I'm not familiar with KDE, so it took me some time to realize what happened. I'm switching from Gnome to KDE as I'm tired of the Gnome 3 UI. I have found Gnome 3 to be very shiny, and absurdly inflexible.

I ended up just reinstalling the system. I didn't really lose anything thing though, as I had already backed everything up to the network drive when I was preparing for the switch to the new computer.

Another issue I had was an apparent glitch in the audio on the new system. I spent several hours trying to locate and correct whatever software issue was causing my audio to pop on a regular basis, only to discover that my headphones are damaged and that was the source of the problem. Yeah, now I feel stupid.

5.25 bay drawer.jpg

adapter for 2.5 inch drive.jpg

multicard reader.jpg

heatsink box.jpg

heatsink comparison.jpg

Here are most of the parts installed. Taken before I salvaged anything from the old system. The drawer only has one set of mounting holes, so the locks I used for the optical and card reader won't work with it.

Mounting the HDD up higher allowed me to use one sata power rail to run both the optical and the HDD.

Here is the system fully assembled. I put black electrical tape over the HDD and power LED's. I really don't like unnecessary lights on my computer.

System mostly assembled.jpg

Fully assembled face.jpg

Hey LG. Just me saying. This computer stuff is over my head. I know many here understand. Sorry if I can't make a raving cool LG on what you did. I know I am but a toothpic in a bull's mouth.

I'm not sure what you mean by being a toothpick brother, I'm just posting this stuff for those that are interested.

Here's something I think you know more about then I do. :) I borrowed a friends electric guitar so I can play around with rocksmith. That's a video game that can teach you to play the guitar. I know nothing about music. I'm trying to find out if I am likely to enjoy playing enough to spend the money on a decent guitar.

borrowed guitar.jpg

I'm not sure what you mean by being a toothpick brother, I'm just posting this stuff for those that are interested.

Here's something I think you know more about then I do. :) I borrowed a friends electric guitar so I can play around with rocksmith. That's a video game that can teach you to play the guitar. I know nothing about music. I'm trying to find out if I am likely to enjoy playing enough to spend the money on a decent guitar.

I'd suggest buying or borrowing an accoustic guitar. Nothing more than $150-200

You'll either like it or not. I've heard real nice music played off a 100 dollar guitar and crap played out an $800 guitar. It's up to the musician to make the music sound good. By the way, I'm not a musician. Don't have the desire and determination.

Dan is it just my phone or did your "wouldn't it be cool" thread get deleted? Hopefully it's just a glitch on my side. Edit: It looks like it is gone. How odd, I wonder what turn it could have taken.

Dan is it just my phone or did your "wouldn't it be cool" thread get deleted? Hopefully it's just a glitch on my side. Edit: It looks like it is gone. How odd, I wonder what turn it could have taken.

It's my fault. I wanted to clear out some of my old threads that never took off but I couldn't remember how. I called up my threads and clicked the first on the list which was the one you're referring to. Was trying to remember how, went through the motions and thought there was a "Are really sure you want to delete" option. Nope. A simple click and gone for good. I'm a moron. I would have liked to seen if it went anywhere too. Maybe PP knows how to bring it back?

Ah crap. Had a phone argument with my wife. I'm a hard head, she's a hard head, Weve been married 11 years. We've been apart geograhphicaly for the last three. Work reasons. There are times I want to hire LRB.. But it's not all her, it's me too. I'm not the easiest person to deal with.

Ah crap. Had a phone argument with my wife. I'm a hard head, she's a hard head, Weve been married 11 years. We've been apart geograhphicaly for the last three. Work reasons. There are times I want to hire LRB.. But it's not all her, it's me too. I'm not the easiest person to deal with.

Sorry Dan. I'm sure the long distance thing makes it hard.

Mike, it does. I'm not exacly a saint, I know that.

Here is a song I like. Had the ablum when I was 12 or so. Used to listen to the whole thing often.. Especially during the frozen winter months of Illinois.

Freddy Mercury. The genius of Queen. He was gay, I throw that out there in case you didn't know. Queen made some of the greatest music in this world in my opinion. Not doing a gay rights parade here but will say it doesn't matter to me what a person’s personal sexual preference is as far as I'm concerned. People are people. See good in them or take them apart based of your own beliefs. Mine is people are people no matter. I’m being a bit preachy I guess. I have personal experience with family that doesn’t flow with what’s expected of them because of their gender.

Not sure I’m being clear here. I’m not gay. But if I were? Nobody has the right to judge. Bible and all that Christian stuff ? If you go there do know God counted every hair on our head. He, if you believe in him, (I do) knew a person before they were born.

So all of us are children of God. A father, if he is a good one knows his children pretty well.

Freddy Mercury. The genius of Queen. He was gay, I throw that out there in case you didn't know. Queen made some of the greatest music in this world in my opinion. Not doing a gay rights parade here but will say it doesn't matter to me what a person’s personal sexual preference is as far as I'm concerned. People are people. See good in them or take them apart based of your own beliefs. Mine is people are people no matter. I’m being a bit preachy I guess. I have personal experience with family that doesn’t flow with what’s expected of them because of their gender.

Not sure I’m being clear here. I’m not gay. But if I were? Nobody has the right to judge. Bible and all that Christian stuff ? If you go there do know God counted every hair on our head. He, if you believe in him, (I do) knew a person before they were born.

So all of us are children of God. A father, if he is a good one knows his children pretty well.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2pMM4iwC-ag

One of my favorite Queen songs of all time. :mug:

Freddie was just an incredible musical talent and Brian May is one of the best guitarists if all time. I'll try to find my most favorite non-mainstream Queen song....brb.

Arizona,

I listened to the entire song. Lost. Just me. I truly enjoyed the accoustic guitar towards the end.

Ha. I try to compare it to if you hadn't heard Bohemian Rhapsody for the first time until your were 40 or so. I'm sure you'd be like "what the hell was that???"

Give it a few days and listen to it again. It may grow on you. If not, search for "Brian May best guitar solo ever". No he is amazing. I think he is literally a rocket scientist as well...

Ha. I try to compare it to if you hadn't heard Bohemian Rhapsody for the first time until your were 40 or so. I'm sure you'd be like "what the hell was that???"

Give it a few days and listen to it again. It may grow on you. If not, search for "Brian May best guitar solo ever". No he is amazing. I think he is literally a rocket scientist as well...

Will do.:pipe:

What a weekend I had. On top of working and medical issues for me my daughter had her first date. It made me feel old and useless pretty much until I met the guy. You see I made her bring him into the house and meet my wife and I before the date. The poor kid was so scared I do not believe you could drive a bobby pin up his butt with a 12 pound sledge. Hehe I really kind of enjoyed that:rockin:

Man I need to get some brewing done. I had 8 cases of beer that foamed out of the bottles and have not brewed for a couple of months I think. Funny how life changes paths on you at times when you have no clue it is going to.

Varmintman, been there, as the young man, many decades ago. Was so nervous couldn't eat. Ended up marrying the young lady, now we are Grandparents. Ya never know how it will turn out. As for the brewing practice makes better. Even tho the beer foamed was it drinkable? Just started to ferment a Porter that I will flavor with vanilla. First flavored beer for me...well its actually for the wife.

Dan..did ya make up with your wife? Not good to let things fester, especially long distance. Bad enough when ur both in the same house. Valentines days is coming soon!

Queen kicks butt. Nothing comparable these days.

Vman, you should have been cleaning your gun too. :D

Hope all the medical conditions are being resloved and you all are healthy.

I've been sending out resumes. I really thought I never would be doing that again after I landed this job but life changes. My wife doesn't like this area of the country, talked me into moving to Hawaii; of course she’s been there now going on three years. Not a real fertile situation for a relationship.

I'm suppose to move this month but looks more realistic to be going next month. I'm a DOD contractor and our contract is under bid. I was actually kind of hoping a new bidder would get it and say sorry, you leave now. A few months of unemployment insurance would be convenient in the job change interim. But that isn’t happening.

I’m tired of living alone, I rented my house here in California out last September and have rented a room close to work since. Brewing, cooking, baking, building anything has been on hold the last 5 months. I’m not woe’s me-ing, well maybe I am a bit. But I’m ready for the move. My marriage has definitely not gained from the separation. We aren’t at our best to each other anymore to be honest. On the other hand my relationship with my kids has never been stronger.

Vman, you should have been cleaning your gun too. :D

Hope all the medical conditions are being resloved and you all are healthy.

I've been sending out resumes. I really thought I never would be doing that again after I landed this job but life changes. My wife doesn't like this area of the country, talked me into moving to Hawaii; of course she’s been there now going on three years. Not a real fertile situation for a relationship.

I'm suppose to move this month but looks more realistic to be going next month. I'm a DOD contractor and our contract is under bid. I was actually kind of hoping a new bidder would get it and say sorry, you leave now. A few months of unemployment insurance would be convenient in the job change interim. But that isn’t happening.

I’m tired of living alone, I rented my house here in California out last September and have rented a room close to work since. Brewing, cooking, baking, building anything has been on hold the last 5 months. I’m not woe’s me-ing, well maybe I am a bit. But I’m ready for the move. My marriage has definitely not gained from the separation. We aren’t at our best to each other anymore to be honest. On the other hand my relationship with my kids has never been stronger.

Dan I hope all works out properly for you! I don't know you personally but have gained a quite a bit of perspective from your posts, your a good man and I'm sure every thing will be fine.
Not having a place to explore my creative side would definitely make Bob an unhappy boy as I love to brew, bake, cook and tinker with mechanical things.
God bless and best of wishes! For all I know we could be related.

Hoffman-Germany.jpg

Dan I hope all works out properly for you! I don't know you personally but have gained a quite a bit of perspective from your posts, your a good man and I'm sure every thing will be fine.
Not having a place to explore my creative side would definitely make Bob an unhappy boy as I love to brew, bake, cook and tinker with mechanical things.
God bless and best of wishes! For all I know we could be related.

Well we certainly do have some of the same family crest. Thanks for the support my friend... or brother maybe? :D

Latest posts

Back