Need kegerator conversion advice!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BionicEye

Reaction score
Hello all!

I'm new to homebrewing and have some questions on converting my Edgestar KC2000TWIN for use with two corny kegs. I'm not worried about swapping in commercial kegs, so the conversion will be rather permanent (i.e. I'm not going to fuss around with quick disconnects to swap in a sankey coupler).

My primary concern at this point is getting CO2 hosing into the kegerator from an outside bottle. The kegerator has a pre-drilled and grommeted hole to accept one 5/16" ID CO2 hose. However, I want to use different pressures for each brew, and have a dual regulator with two 1/4" ID outlet CO2 barbs. What do you think would be the best way to get them into the unit? I'm thinking that I'll have to suck it up and drill another hole in the unit for one of the CO2 lines. I can use the larger pre-drilled hole for the other and fill in the gap with insulating foam or caulk.

My other option would be to stuff both air lines in the one hole, but this will cause some hose pinching. Do you think that this restriction could pose any real issues with keeping the kegs pressurized or detract from the pour?

My other problem/question has to do with the permanently installed fitting on the 3/16" ID beer out lines that is used to attach to a sankey coupler. Should I just cut them off completely and use a 3/16" to 1/4" straight barb fitting? Or, is there some conversion hardware that will adapt the permanently installed connection to a 1/4" ID hose? I've looked around and so far haven't been able to find anything that would accomplish this. Like I said, I'm not worried about using commercial kegs in this unit again, so I'm prepared to cut them off if I have to.

My final question is what style these posts are in my attached images. From the images on midwestsupplies.com they look like firestone parts. I bought the kegs used from cornykeg.com as pepsi-style. I want to replace the posts but I'm not sure if I should buy the Cornelius-Spartan, Super Champion & R Kegs style or the Firestone V & VI Challenger & Super Challenger Kegs style. I'm sorry about the blurry images, but that was the best my phone could do.

Thanks ahead of time for all of your responses!

WP_000123.jpg

WP_000124.jpg

- I'd drill another hole for the second line

- I'd cut off the Sanke fittings and install flare connectors like this
2130.jpg

then buy MFL-equipped quick disconnects like this
1313.jpg

- why replace the ball lock posts? A standard ball lock QD will fit any brand post...

Cheers!

Back