Commercial Licensing Q

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

strahmhv

Reaction score
Does anyone know what permits/licensing/certification is needed and the cost to brew, and sell brews commercially?

It is my understanding that there are both federal BATF and State regulations and requirements that must be met for commercial brewing.
Recipes and labeling must be submitted IIRC.

This varies tremendously from state to state. But, the general idea is there is a group of people in your state, feeding at the public trough, that HATE beer, anyone who has anything to do with it and will make you pay and pay and pay to brew and sell it.:mad:

In Oregon, breweries, brewpubs and selling to other bars, all have different licensing requirements. Every bottle & can label has to be approved, etc. And then there are zoning considerations.

It does vary from state to state. Here in PA it is something like $3000 per year for a license. There is no way to recoup the costs on a typical homebrew scale. You'd have to buy all new equipment to scale up enough to cover the license.

What irks me is that is it ~300 per year for a winery license! Bastids.

It does vary from state to state. Here in PA it is something like $3000 per year for a license. There is no way to recoup the costs on a typical homebrew scale. You'd have to buy all new equipment to scale up enough to cover the license.

What irks me is that is it ~300 per year for a winery license! Bastids.

Well duh!!! It's because them beer drinker guys are the problem. They get drunk, have fun and aren't afraid to let you know it so that 's not cool. The winies on the other hand do the same under the guise of sophistication and refinement and that makes it okay.

Back