Dave says hello

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

davelovesbeer

Reaction score
yo, Dave from iowa here,

I'm pretty new at this. I've brewed three batches so far all from kits and none of them taste very good. An IPA, an american pale and a brown ale and they all end up with a funky aftertaste, kind of carmel-like, if anyone else has had this problem, i could use some advice. I'm having a great time learning about the brewing process, now i just need to learn to make some drinkable beer.

davelovesbeer said:
yo, Dave from iowa here,

I'm pretty new at this. I've brewed three batches so far all from kits and none of them taste very good. An IPA, an american pale and a brown ale and they all end up with a funky aftertaste, kind of carmel-like, if anyone else has had this problem, i could use some advice. I'm having a great time learning about the brewing process, now i just need to learn to make some drinkable beer.

What kind of kits are they? Are they Pre-Hopped?

Welcome to HBT Dave! :mug:
We need a little more information before we can try to help you out. Tell us how you brew from start to finish including how you sanitize. Also what ingredients are you brewing with? How long are you fermenting and aging the beer before you drink it?

Welcome to HBT! :mug:

It's hard to guess at what flavor you're describing until you tell us more about your process and recipe. Could you tell us the ingredients, what you did exactly, and how long you left them in the fermenter and bottles before trying. That will really help us nail down the flavor you're talking about.

Again, welcome!

[cheechvoice] No man Dave's not here[/cheechvoice]

Welcome to HBT.

Are you taking the pot off the burner when adding the extract?

The kits were not pre-hopped. I used a no-rinse sanitizer for everything including bottles. Steeped grains at 160-170. 1st 2 batches light liquid extract, for brown ale, liquid and DME. I did add the malt while the water was at a boil. The O.G. and F. G,s were all right according to the kit directions for all batches. About 10 days in primary, 2 weeks in secondary and 3+ weeks in the bottle. The beer isn't terrible, it smells great but has a weird sugary aftertaste. Any advice would be much appreciated.

Latest posts

Back