dont want to keep making the same hefe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jonp9576

Reaction score
so i have made the basic hefeweizen kits from most of the online distributors. i love them all. everyone that trys them loves them.

i have one of the kits here that i am going to brew this weekend. what i am looking for is a way to tweak it. possibly some kind of fruit. orange seems to be pretty standard. would this go into the fermenter? the boil? secondary?

any other ideas than orange. i know honey is common but i have a honey blonde fermenting now so i wanna stay away from honey.

no raspberry, swmbo doesnt like it.

anyone tried watermelon or strawberry?

the recipe i have right now is

1/2# carapils
1/2# german pilsner
7# wheat extract.

3/4 oz hallertau 60 min
1/4 oz hallertau 5 minutes

white labs hefeweizen ale 300 yeast

You might want to try making it into an American Wheat instead of the German style. Pick up an ale yeast like US-05 and some American C hops. I just bottled an all Aramillo Wheat fermented with PacMan. It's a nice change from the usual Hefe-Weizen.

Edit:
If not that, I've heard that you can steep Fruit Loops . . .
:D:drunk::cross:

I bottled a Clementine Hefe about a week ago and even though it's still under-carbed I can tell it's going to be quite promising. I used about 0.5 kg of peeled clementines and a handful of rinds to make the recipe. I put the lot of it in 2 liters of water and heated until it reached 70*C, at which point I turned off the heat and let it cool to room temperature. I poured the whole thing into the primary and away she went!

The end result tastes like any other Hefe, but with a bit of fresh orange zest in it! Something I'll do again for sure.

The only recommendation I would make is that racking out of the primary after a week or so would be helpful. I made an awfully yeasty mess of the beer as it went into the bottling bucket. The beer is pleasantly cloudy but there is WAY too much sediment in the bottles to be able to "pour, swirl and pour" as I normally would with a Hefe.

i asked swmbo her opinion and she mentioned doing strawberry and banana. any ideas on how?

possibly strawberry in primary and banana in secondary??

both secondary?

I would throw them both in the secondary. I would worry that the banana would be a bit much in the Hefe, since they tend to have some bana flavor already. I was actually thinking that the next time I make a Hefe that has a lot of bana flavor, add strawberry, to get strawberry banana!

I would also worry about strawberry banana being too sweet, but if you don't mind your Hefe coming out sweet then have at it.

However, I have known people to fill a glass a third of the way with banana puree and then pour Hefe on top. I am not really sure of it, but they seem to like it.

For strawberry banana if you want to add both I would try 8pts sterile strawberry puree and 4pts sterile green banana puree (just before ripe) into the secondary for a 5 gallon batch. Half for half of course.

If you put either into the primary the sugars will be consumed by the yeast and the flavor will disappear. You will get osme of that in the secondary, but not quite so much.

On that note, you can pretty much add anything to Hefe if you really want to. It seems to be a very forgiving beer. Unless you do like me and follow the LHBS instructions and overhop the hell out of it (61IBU) .. I knew better, but I figured what the heck, follow their instructions, Hah!

i was wondering about the differences of using green bananas vs. real ripe soft ones.

also, how would i sterilize the berries and bananas, puree them and them get them hot on the stove?

Disclosure: I have not been brewing long and have not added fruit to one of my beers yet.

Green Banana vs Ripe Banana -
I'm not a huge fan of ripe banana and would fear its flavor overpowering the beer and strawberries. I find most strawberry banana products to be more banana than strawberry. I would use a green banana to get a slightly tarter flavor that wouldn't be overpower everything else. If I were to use a ripe banana, I would probably use half the volume I mentioned in the recipe, taste it after a week, and add more if I thought it wasn't enough. The amounts of fruit I stated are speculative based on recipes for other fruit hefe recipes I have read and contemplated for future creations of my own.

The reason to use a puree is to increase surface area. However, that is more likely to make a smudgey paste on the bottom that you will want to filter out. You could bottle it, but it would probably not be visually appealing. You could just chop the fruit up, except it will not absorb as much or fast - although, that is what I do when I make liqueurs - puree is a real pain to filter out. With fruit, the longer it sits in the secondary, the more flavor you will get. At first you will displace the water and get the free sugar flavors. If you freeze your fruit beforehand, it will rupture the cell walls, which will free up more sugar and water and result in faster displacement. Otherwise, you will have to wait, and if the alcohol and sugar ratios aren't high enough a lot of the flavors will stay within the fruit itself.

You can often buy sterile puree of berries, not sure about bananas. I have read of people who haven't sterilized, just clean the fruit, blend it up throw it in, and haven't had problems. However, there are two ways that I sterilize fruit when canning - both of which would work here and are described below.

First, just like a sauce, in a pan, on the stove. This will caramelize some of the sugars and change the flavor profile of your fruit. This is not a bad thing, but it will be a different flavor from the fresh fruit. If you want to go this route, I would taste test a small amount fresh and a small amount on the stove and see which I like most. I cannot remember the exact temperature, but I believe you want to get it to 150F to kill most of the bad bacteria - a google search should be able to confirm this. I know for some things it is up to 180F...

The second method can be done in either of two ways - with plain water or with sugar water. If I was canning it, I would use sugar water. For beer, I would probably use plain water, unless you want to restart fermentation by adding more easy fermentables (up to you, but it will increase alcohol and wateriness of your beer). This method is to sterilize your blender in preparation to make your puree. Sterilize all of the utensils that will come in contact with the fruit. Start a pot of sweet water (the water you would use in your brew - sweet water just means drinkable/clean water). Also, have a pre-boiled (to sterilize), but now chilled pot of sweet water. Then, cut your fruit up, not too small, but not so big that any chambers are open. Also, remove any bad spots. Drop some of your fruit into the hot water to blanch (sterilize) it, leave it for no more than 30 seconds (I would go with 10 seconds, that should be enough), pull it out with a slotted spoon (leave water behind), and drop it into the cold water to chill. Do this for all of your fruit. Then, strain off the cold water, put the fruit in the blender and puree. Toss the puree into your secondary, stir well (don't aerate).

Note - the boil water will have some of the sugars in it. You could add it, if there isn't much, to your beer - but it will lower your SG. Alternatively, you could chill it and drink it if it tastes good. Or just toss it.

Oh, for canning, I do either of those methods above, put into a hot jar the puree or chunks (pretty!) (with or without syrup), toss on a hot boiled lid, put a ring on it, seal it, keeps for quite a while and delicious in the winter months. Then again, with fruit available year around these days, not quite the same thing. Yes, these are a form of fruit preserves.

Hope that was helpful? Let me know if you have any questions.

M

wow, tons of help. i plan to brew this in the next week or so. so i'll post more questions at some point

will do. more than likely it will be brewed this weekend. i have the hefe extract kit together, but i am also finishing up my all grain equip and i have some ingredients but that might have to wait another week

Sounds better to me. Strawberry Hefe would be good too, not sure about Added Banana Hefe (although, GLW just asked me to make her one after seeing this thread).

Apple should be easy. I would still blanch the same way, but you should be good.

However, what type of apples? Lot of apple flavors out there.

yea, thats the next question. i love red delicious. i dont like granny smith. i might just go with what i like and always have in the house any way

I have seen a lot of beers made with granny smiths or other sour apples. If you were adding them to the primary, I would suggest cider apples. For the secondary, I am not so sure. You probably want one that has a stand-out flavor.

This reminds me, Washington: Home of Hops and Apples. You would think there would be more interesting beers combining the two around here, but there aren't.

yea, thats a really good point.

also, one of my friends brought up a cinnamon apple. how do you think that would work out

No way of knowing until it is brewed! :) Sounds good. Just have to be careful that the cinnamon doesn't overpower the apple.

I have seen a lot of beers made with granny smiths or other sour apples. If you were adding them to the primary, I would suggest cider apples. For the secondary, I am not so sure. You probably want one that has a stand-out flavor.

This reminds me, Washington: Home of Hops and Apples. You would think there would be more interesting beers combining the two around here, but there aren't.

I did an appleweizen once...
the problem was getting it to have any apple taste, without resorting to artificial flavorings.

This is still an elusive thing to me.

Hmm.. What type of apples did you use thataintchicken? I will have to think about things that can be done to apples to make their flavor come out.

As for a cherry hefe, I have had one, reasonably good. Cherries are often added to the primary fermenter, to let their sugars be ate off. I really am not sure why. Nevertheless, cherry in the secondary would work too. Most beers with cherries use sour cherries - apparently the flavor comes through better.

I am actually doing a test tonight to see if green mango would taste good in my hefe. If it does, I will be adding it to the secondary and making the whole batch green mango hefeweizen, we will see how that comes out. I am hoping it will be tart and will reduce the bitterness (60+ IBU, oops).

i am thinking about making some sort of cooked apple mixture like the way my mom makes apple sauce. i would add this to the secondary. it might let the flavor of the apple come out pretty well. i might even use the same mixture of apples that she uses.

I found canned Mango Pulp at the neighborhood Indian Market.
I will be using this to make a mangoweizen. It should be good. :mug:

I just threw green mango into my Hopafeizen after racking to secondary. So far so good. I ran a taste test by blending some up, mixing it with a cup to taste, and giving it a go - it was great!

i just watched a show last night that they make a soda out of fuji apples they say they have a great flavor

I was actually thinking about doing a cherry hefe or else a cherry banana hefe. I just made a bavarian hefe with the weihenstephaner yeast... pretty heavy bananic... but I figure why not go all the way and put bananas in the primary?

One thing I was wondering is whether I should blend the bananas and cherries before cooking them on the stove... or should I just chop them up into pieces and cook them? I want to add them to the primary.

maybe a weird question, but could you just throw some skittles or starburst into secondary?

You could, but I do not think you would like the results ...

First, they are artificially flavored. It is amazing how nasty many artificial flavors come once diluted in alcohol. If you really want to try it, then I recommend putting them in a bottle of vodka first and seeing if you like them once they dissolve. I have made some great liqueurs this way (green apple jolly ranchers rock), but many come out undrinkable.

Second, they generally contain sugar. You would have to use the sugar free ones if you wanted to use them. If they had sugar, it would be fermented off or risk messing you up come carbonation time due to extra residual sugars. If they were sugar free, then you would be adding sweetness through artificial sweeteners.

Let us know how it works ;) If you insist on trying, then I recommend trying with a 1 gallon batch.

Rather than get super complicated with fruiting and the rest, I'd look to the yeast strain as the primary way to make changes.

You're using WLP300 right now.

Maybe next time you try Wyeast 3333, 3056, or get really crazy and try 3942.

I just made a Bavarian hefe fermenting at 62F, and plan to split the 10 batch and use 6# of cherry puree (2 big cans of Oregon puree) in one batch and enough watermelon through a sanitized juicer to get 6 cups for the other 5 gallons.

Typically, I have found that you need about 1# fruit / gal to get a noticeable taste for cherry and blueberry; strawberries almost twice that. I always use the fresh/frozen in the secondary. I figure between the alcohol, acidity and the dominate yeast, contamination doesnt typically concern me, but I may be risky.

Ive found with a banana chocolate stout, that dehydrated bananas in the flameout in the boil impart a strong taste (4oz unsweetened chips for 5 gallon batch)... beer was really acidic, but that could have been from reasons other than the banana chips.. i also used 5 lbs of real bananas in the secondary, but it fermented out the real banana taste.. definitely the chip taste dominated. I was worried about the oils in the chips, but it didnt seem to affect the head retention.

Back