Golden ale recipe check.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alterosity

Reaction score
Going by what I have on hand, I cobbled up the following.

5.5 gallon batch, boil time 60 minutes.

4lbs Ultralite extract syrup (60min)
3lbs Wheat extract syrup (60min)
8oz Belgian Aromatic (45min steep 155F)
8oz Crystal 20L (45min steep 155F)
1oz Amarillo 9.3% AA (60min)
.5oz Willamette 5.1% AA (30min)
2tsp Irish Moss (15min)
.5oz Willamette 5.1% AA (Dry)
8oz Orange Blossom honey (Dry)
Nottingham dry yeast

Estimated SG:
OG: 1.053
FG: 1.013

Bottle primer: 2/3cup of DME

Primary 3 weeks, bottle condition 3-4 weeks.

Beercalculus predicts a medium bitter gold/copper ale.

That's the tentative batch I may brew tonight. Since this would be the first time I haven't followed a found recipe, I'd like some advice about the ingredients and process.

Half pound of aromatic can really influence the flavor. I find to much and I end up with a licorice aroma/flavor.

Other than that, the recipe looks nice.

Try doing 1/3rd or so of your extract as a late addition to preserve the light color.

I'm not a big fan of licorice at all, so maybe 4oz of aromatic? And when you mean late extract addition, how many minutes of boil?

I can't help with the aromatics, but when I did a late extract addition, there was about 10min left in the boil. worked out fine.

I'm not a big fan of licorice at all, so maybe 4oz of aromatic? And when you mean late extract addition, how many minutes of boil?

10 to 15 minutes would be fine. You're just making sure that it dissolves and sterilizes during the end of the boil.

Back