indian brown ale?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SpeedyR

Reaction score
since I got some great feedback on my imperial red, I thought I'd throw this one out there as well and see if there's any feedback on this recipe I was going to brew sunday:

Looking for something similar to DogFish Head Indian Brown Ale. I bought a kit from a shop for the last time I brewed it and was very happy with the results, but I don't know exactly what was in the kit as it wasn't labeled, just bag of grains, DME, hops, etc. Hoping to have my own recipe for extract IBA brew. :)

so with some reading online of Indian Brown Ale extract clones and suggestions, here's what I was going to try:

DME
7lbs briess golden light DME

Grain bill:
10oz British amber malt
10oz Crystal 60l
8oz Chocolate malt
2oz roasted barley

Hops:
1 oz Warrior
2.5 oz vanguard (had to sub Hallertau)

other:
8oz dark brown sugar

yeast:
Ringwood Ale Wyeast 1187 w/ 1.6l starter

steep grains for 30 min @160
while steeping- carmelize the brown sugar on stove top

bring to boil, 60 min boil w/ 4 gallons
add 4lbs DME, 1oz Warrior
add 3lbs DME, 1oz Hallertau with 15 min left
1oz Hallertau at flameout
.5oz Hallertau dry hop

I need to double check quantities/results in brewsmith but should be OG ~1.072, FG ~1.018 (shooting for ABV around 7%), SRM around 28-30, IBU 50ish..

any thoughts or suggestions? the original recipe I did added the brown sugar with 15-20 minutes left in the boil with no carmelization. I've read most carmelize and add at the beginning of the boil?

Never had the beer you are intending to clone, but amber malt is harsh young. Plan on 2 months of aging.

Back