Re-pitching Yeast Cakes

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Trencher

Reaction score
After my last beer finished fermenting I decided to try washing and re-using the yeast after seeing a lot of discussion about that here. I got together 3 quart jars half-full of cold sanitized water and poured the first into the fermenter, swirled it around and poured the yeast into the jar. As the yeast began settling out I never saw the 3 distinct layers I expected, just the remaining beer/water on top and the off-white yeast on the bottom. I shook it up and let it settle a few more times over the following days but never got a distinct separation between yeast and trub.

So now I want to re-use that yeast on my next beer. I'm going from a lighter, simpler beer to a darker, maltier beer so I know that just dropping the yeast in should work. The idea of washing my yeast still appeals to me, though. Did I miss something in my first attempt? Can I still do the washing after the yeast has spent a couple weeks in the fridge?

Also, do I need to make a starter before using this yeast? I'd love to pull off and save enough for another batch.

Maybe I have this stuff figured out now.

I pulled the jar of yeast out of the fridge, shook it and let it start warming on the counter, shaking again every 15-20 minutes. After about 75 minutes it has started separating somewhat and I see what I missed before.
The quart jar is full, with about 1/4 inch of thinner beer/water/yeast on the top and about 1/2 inch of thicker trub/yeast on the bottom. I wasn't expecting so much yeast!

Now I'm going to separate this stuff and repeat the process a few times, as long as the thick chunky layer on the bottom continues to develop. Sounds like I have a ton of yeast, so hopefully I won't have a problem splitting it to make a starter and hold some back for the next batch.

Wish me luck! :ban:

Your first time around you want to shake that jar, then set aside and wait 10 minutes. (Don’t try and look for separation). Then after 10 minutes, pour off, very gently, all but about the last ¼ inch of solution.

This insures that the heavy particles have had a chance to settle and you’ll see them, after you pour off the good stuff.

Repeat the process using more water, and because the solution is now a bit thinner, finer particles will fall out.

People try a little too hard to identify “just yeast” when washing. It’s all yeast, except that granules that fall out.

It sounds like you were successfull in your first yeast washing attempt. Here's to saving $7 a batch for wet yeast! :mug:

I think part of my problem was my mindset as well... I hated the idea of dumping the bottom 1/2 inch for fear of losing a bunch of good yeast. But it just hit me - the point is to make as much more yeast as I need! Durr.

Back