Hard Wassail

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Monk

Reaction score
Got my second hard cider in primary right now. Two cans of a cider kit, plus sucanat brown sugar, 1.4 lb. wheat LME, a tiny smidge of bittering hops, and a teaspoon of cinnamon. It smells fantastic, just like the wassail my parents make around Christmas. Perhaps this will taste as good...and get you a bit tipsy. ;)

Anyone else have any experience adding LME to cider? Or spices to cider?

Cheers,

Monk

I'm brewing one right now with light wheat extract, going for the caramel flavor. I've only ever added spices as a tea in secondary when making cider....

I've heard of adding the spices as a tea, because it preserves more of the aroma/flavor. I added the cinnamon with about 15 minutes left in the boil, according to the only directions I could find for using cinnamon. I'll see how it turns out.

Incidentally, I had a cinnamon blonde ale a few months ago that was great. I wonder if they used a tea or added it to the boil?

monk

Back