Cleanser/Sanitizer Temperature

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

frostyone

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I've noticed that on the cleansers and sanitizers that I use, they say that they should be mixed with warm water. If they are mixed with water that is ~60 degrees, is there any downside to this? I know it won't dissolve as well, but I guess I'm wondering if it still does its job or not?

It depends on the product. Following the manufacturers recommendations is a a good place to start. Which product are you referring to?

I find that in general the brewery cleaning products work better with warm/hot water. Never used one step although I recall requesting free samples from the website, I guess they don't deserve my business. B Brite is similar to Oxyclean as I recall and that should benefit from warmer water. Don't know easy clean.

I guess I'm more curious about the sanitation side than anything...I'd hate to find out sometime down the road that our efforts to sanitize were ineffective and had simply been getting lucky on making good beer.

So, what I hope someone out there can answer is this: does a lower temperature on sanitizer solution such as b-brite or 1-step lower its effectiveness enough to warrant the need to warm the water on a stove every time I brew (I use dam* cold well water where I brew)

Latest posts

Back