DC Area Group Grain Buy #12

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We double bag it, unless there's a better vessel around. The one who takes the smallest amount gets to do the split, unless j1n is around, he's the DME master so far.

You're on for 10#.

LMAO!! screw that, im not doing the DME again. im good on DME for a while since that last time we split it.

I thought it was whoever takes the most or starts the split has to split it up. I took the most so i did the split. plus i was late. How about the late person does the DME split? I bet ppl will show up extra early if you make this rule.

LMAO!! screw that, im not doing the DME again. im good on DME for a while since that last time we split it.

I thought it was whoever takes the most or starts the split has to split it up. I took the most so i did the split. plus i was late. How about the late person does the DME split? I bet ppl will show up extra early if you make this rule.

Really? We thought you truly enjoyed that there for a moment. Usually we have to draw straws or look very busy, but you took on the bag without muttering. Or spills. Plus you brought awesome beer. That can get you off the hook. Had you only known...

Deal! Whoever is late does DME splits. They're always left for last anyway.

Don't fear the DME! :tank:

Really? We thought you truly enjoyed that there for a moment. Usually we have to draw straws or look very busy, but you took on the bag without muttering. Or spills. Plus you brought awesome beer. That can get you off the hook. Had you only known...

Deal! Whoever is late does DME splits. They're always left for last anyway.

Don't fear the DME! :tank:

HAHAHA thats not exactly how it went down. I was late, and i walk in with my scale and buckets and i ask Tony "what should i split?" and hes says "we're all done" and i laugh cause i think hes joking but then i look over and yeah basically all done.... But there's 1 bag sitting there so im like ill take care of it... It turns out to be the DME.

Thanks IslandLizard, I should have my list of grains desired by wednesday. Do we have an expected close/pickup date on this order yet?

Thanks IslandLizard, I should have my list of grains desired by wednesday. Do we have an expected close/pickup date on this order yet?

No date set.
Realistically, I'd say we're looking at the earliest toward the 2nd half of May for pickup. We're trying to fill a pallet (40-42 sacks) at minimum to make it worth our effort.

If you need grain sooner, 3 Stars may still have some of that Optic left. Very nice floor malted grain, and for the price hard to pass up.

Can you please add:

2x RAH1002 Rahr Standard 2-Row 50 lb

5 lbs Briess 2-Row Carapils® 50 lb BRI1022

Thanks!
Josh

This is my first time getting in on the group buy but I think StoneBrewer should have all the info he needs from me. Let me know if you need anything else. Add me for:

1 x WEY1003 Weyermann® Pilsner 25 Kg (55 Lb.)
10lbs of the Briess 2-Row Carapils® 50 lb split
10lbs of the Briess 2-Row Caramel 40L 50 lb split

Thanks!

This is my first time getting in on the group buy but I think StoneBrewer should have all the info he needs from me. Let me know if you need anything else. Add me for:

1 x WEY1003 Weyermann® Pilsner 25 Kg (55 Lb.)
10lbs of the Briess 2-Row Carapils® 50 lb split
10lbs of the Briess 2-Row Caramel 40L 50 lb split

Thanks!

Welcome to our group buy!

All added.

Please pm me your:
  • First name,
  • Primary email address - where we can reach you (one you check often), and
  • Alternative email, if you have one.

Thanks!

Sorry bad wording - I want one of both to see if there's any difference (I don't expect so).

Ah, OK, I doubt anyone can taste the difference between them, definitely after specialty grains and hops are added.

Now 2-row or pale vs. Maris Otter or Golden Promise, for example, is a whole different experience.

Sorry bad wording - I want one of both to see if there's any difference (I don't expect so).

Just a heads up Hardwarehank, I did the exact same thing, and in none of my brews was I able to identify the difference, just a heads up!

Just a heads up Hardwarehank, I did the exact same thing, and in none of my brews was I able to identify the difference, just a heads up!

Cool thanks! Who knows, maybe I'll like the look of one better than the other or something. It's a small premium to pay to get one of each versus 2 of the cheaper, and it's kinda fun.

Cool thanks! Who knows, maybe I'll like the look of one better than the other or something. It's a small premium to pay to get one of each versus 2 of the cheaper, and it's kinda fun.

I would take either a MO/GP/Optic/Halcyon, a German, or a Belgian malt plus one of the regular US pales (Briess/Rahr). There really is not much telling one pale from the other in a beer, and a decent dose of hops or specialty malts will totally equalize them.

I tried to tell the difference between 2 pale malts (Rahr and Crisp) and although the grain tastes a bit different, the Crisp a bit more fragrant and biscuity, in the single base malt, simple hopped beers (~20 IBUs of Magnum) they tasted very much alike, with the Crisp having maybe a tad more malt character, also being a slight bit darker. Now the MO, GP, and Optic stood out from the Pale and also quite significantly from each other. The Optic also had a distinct sulphur smell and taste, GP and MO didn't.

I would take either a MO/GP/Optic/Halcyon, a German, or a Belgian malt plus one of the regular US pales (Briess/Rahr). There really is not much telling one pale from the other in a beer, and a decent dose of hops or specialty malts will totally equalize them.

I tried to tell the difference between 2 pale malts (Rahr and Crisp) and although the grain tastes a bit different, the Crisp a bit more fragrant and biscuity, in the single base malt, simple hopped beers (~20 IBUs of Magnum) they tasted very much alike, with the Crisp having maybe a tad more malt character, also being a slight bit darker. Now the MO, GP, and Optic stood out from the Pale and also quite significantly from each other. The Optic also had a distinct sulphur smell and taste, GP and MO didn't.

I LOVE Optic. I, personally, love the aroma I get from it, and the flavor. My other go to malts are Golden Promise, Crisp MO, Bo Pilsner and 2 Row.

IslandLizard, Can you add me to the splits too?

Also I'd like to start a split of Simpsons Peated (If no one is in it yet). I'd like 10lbs of it.

And I'd like to add one bag of Rahr Standard 2 row.

Might have more to add later, just wanted to get this in.

I'd like to add

15 lbs WEY1017 Weyermann® Light Munich 25 Kg (55 Lb.) split

1x RAH1002 Rahr Standard 2-Row 50 lb

Then I think I'm done for this group buy!

I'll jump in on the Briess 2-Row Caramel 40L 50 lb split. I'll take 10#.

Added.

IslandLizard, Can you add me to the splits too?

Also I'd like to start a split of Simpsons Peated (If no one is in it yet). I'd like 10lbs of it.

And I'd like to add one bag of Rahr Standard 2 row.

Might have more to add later, just wanted to get this in.

Added.

I'd like to add

15 lbs WEY1017 Weyermann® Light Munich 25 Kg (55 Lb.) split

1x RAH1002 Rahr Standard 2-Row 50 lb

Then I think I'm done for this group buy!

Added.

You guys can always add more later. Next buy won't likely be before September. Keep that in mind.

I'll take that last 10lb of C 40 off of HardwareHanks Split.

And add: 1 x WEY1003 for me please.

Greetings all. I am waiting on a couple of brews where I substituted MO over GP. Trying to decide what I want for the summer. I am definitely in for:

1 X RAH1102 Rahr 2-row

and probably

1X SIM1002 Simpsons Golden Promise

but will decide next week if the later will be CRI1001 instead. GP is fantastic for session beers, I'm not sure if MO is quite so good, but it is fantastic for all else... hence the dilemma!

Cheers,
Steve da Sleeve

Greetings all. I am waiting on a couple of brews where I substituted MO over GP. Trying to decide what I want for the summer. I am definitely in for:

1 X RAH1102 Rahr 2-row

and probably

1X SIM1002 Simpsons Golden Promise

but will decide next week if the later will be CRI1001 instead. GP is fantastic for session beers, I'm not sure if MO is quite so good, but it is fantastic for all else... hence the dilemma!

Cheers,
Steve da Sleeve

Added the Rahr, reserved a slot for your MO/GP choice.

Please put me down for the following splits:

10 pounds of the Briess DME Pilsen Light
10 pounds of the Weyerman light Munich

Cheers,

Kirk

No one wants in on the peated?! RAAAGE!! How you guys gonna make them epic scottish ales?

I might grab some peated. That stuff goes a really really long way though, I'll have to consider how much I want.

Someone on this forum made a 100% peat beer and sent me a couple bottles. It was pretty over the top, but I actually quite enjoyed it. Beer version of Laphroaig.

I might grab some peated. That stuff goes a really really long way though, I'll have to consider how much I want.

Someone on this forum made a 100% peat beer and sent me a couple bottles. It was pretty over the top, but I actually quite enjoyed it. Beer version of Laphroaig.

Awesome! I haven't had Laphroaig before, but one of the highest peated scotches I have had is Talisker do you know how that compares?

Also do you have the recipe? I'm still reading up on how I'm going to use my peated barely.

Cheers!
Puckett

Awesome! I haven't had Laphroaig before, but one of the highest peated scotches I have had is Talisker do you know how that compares?

Also do you have the recipe? I'm still reading up on how I'm going to use my peated barely.

Cheers!
Puckett

Laphroaig is extreme when it comes to peat smoke. I don't think theres another label that matches them in that regard.

Sorry, I can't for the life of me find the thread where the guy made the all peat beer. I would just do 10lbs or so of peat malt and hop it to about 25IBU, use whatever yeast you like if that's what you're looking to do.

There are various recipes for peat heavy beers all over these threads:

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=276443
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=78009
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=171981
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=398651

Also I have a Smoked Porter in my recipe dropdown that has a small amount of peat in it and makes an amazing beer.

please put me down for:

sacs:
1x CAS1002 Château Pilsen 2-Row 25 Kg (55 Lb.)

splits:
5# of the Weyermann® Light Munich (closes the split)
5# of the Briess DME Pilsen Light

anyone interested in a Briess Bavarian Wheat DME split? i would take 10#, initially.

i will need some more PBW eventually but i'm going to hold off on joining the split for now. i will step up if needed to close out this buy, otherwise i'd rather wait until the next buy (Aug/Sept/whatever).

Latest posts

Back