Keggle Build: Where to Install Ball Valve?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ultravista

Reaction score
I have cut 12 inch holes in the tops of my kegs with a jig and now I'm ready to drill and install the ball valve with a stepped bit.

Where is the best spot to drill the hole for the valve?

There are lots of threads about cutting the top but it's slim pickings for valve location.

Hold up the widest part of your coupler/weldless fitting to the outside of the keg about 1/4-1/2" above the lower seam, mark the center, drill away. I would suggest you make sure there is NOT a skirt vent hole directly below the valve, they can get HOT fast from the burner exhaust.

+1 for 3 3/4 from the bottom- also, instead of starting the hole with the step bit which takes forever, use like a 3/32 regular drill bit to punch through, then change to the step bit.

From the link posted, it appears it is 3 and 3/4 inches from the bottom, including skirt.

+1 for 3 3/4 from the bottom- also, instead of starting the hole with the step bit which takes forever, use like a 3/32 regular drill bit to punch through, then change to the step bit.

exactly I think I used a 1/4" and it just cut like butter then I used the step bit and again like butter. I am not sure why so many guys say the step bit was hard to use.

I used WD40 while drilling with my step bit. I would do a step then stop and spray with wd40 and repeat until my hole was drilled.

-=Jason=-

For my Keg, 3.75" would not give me enough room for the shim/washer. I ended up with my holes at 4". Any lower would place me on the weld.

Do not trust 3.75. Measure it yourself and punch a dent out from the inside where the hole should be. You do not want it too low!

One other thing. Use earplugs. My step bit went in quietly the entire way until I was at a 1/2 inch hole when it suddenly SHRIEKED. Hurt my ear for about 24 hours. Use earplugs just in case! The step bit cut through beautifully.

Oh, one other thing. Be sure to use a carbide or carbide tipped drill bit. I went through 3 bits before buying a carbide one and it cut through with no issues. 1/8" bit.

Latest posts

Back