Successful mini fridge models for kegerator conversion

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HawRiverHops

Reaction score
I'm looking to purchase a minifridge to convert into a kegerator. Does anyone know of any manufacturers and model #'s of readily available minifridges?

I bought a Sanyo 4912 last weekend at Fry's for $189. To get that price I had to order it online for in-store pickup.

I would add that it is a a great fridge for keg conversion. Room for 2 corny kegs and a 5# CO2 container. There are lots of websites online for how to convert this particular fridge into a kegerator.

Good luck!

On the 4912M you can fit a cylinder and two cornies and still keep the door trims (just take out the tray-thing at the bottom). If you put a pair of 1/4" sticks on the holes that used to hold the tray-thing you can still fit (snugly) some beer bottles in the bottom tray. In total:
1 5lb cylinder
2 corny kegs
7 soda cans (door can compartment)
4 beer bottles (bottom door compartment)
2 more trays (right now I have glasses, yeast and hops on those)

Got it for 189 on Fry's (same thing, buy online for in-store pickup. The store sticker price is 250)

Aha! Thank you! Google failed me on "Sanyo 4912" but came through with "Sanyo 4912M"

Expensive anywhere by Fry's, though, and there are none of those near me.

Frigidaire Model FRC445GB ... holds two cornies with minimal conversion... also cheep, roughly 160$

Frigidaire Model FRC445GB ... holds two cornies with minimal conversion... also cheep, roughly 160$

+ 1 for the Frigidaire. I bought one at Lowe's last week for $179. I debated over this or spending $10 more at Fry's for the Sanyo. I went with the Frigidaire for two reasons:

1) It has a lock on the door and the Sanyo doesn't

2) I wanted a tower on mine, so I figured digging through the foam on the top of the Frigidaire would be less of a PITA than doing the slurry method of finding the cooling lines on the Sanyo.

Mine turned out fantastic! The conversion was very simple.

I bought a Sanyo 4912 last weekend at Fry's for $189. To get that price I had to order it online for in-store pickup.

I would add that it is a a great fridge for keg conversion. Room for 2 corny kegs and a 5# CO2 container. There are lots of websites online for how to convert this particular fridge into a kegerator.

Good luck!

Second this! Houston area, at store 250 or so, online 189. pickup at store avaliable.

+ 1 for the Frigidaire. I bought one at Lowe's last week for $179. I debated over this or spending $10 more at Fry's for the Sanyo. I went with the Frigidaire for two reasons:

2) I wanted a tower on mine, so I figured digging through the foam on the top of the Frigidaire would be less of a PITA than doing the slurry method of finding the cooling lines on the Sanyo.

+1 again. just did my conversion couple weekends ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard-SSV

+1 again. just did my conversion couple weekends ago

I have Perlicks with 3" shanks. Will the Fridgidaire accept faucets that run through the door, or is it real tight?

Possibly...here is a link to my build(sorry for the low quality on most those were taken with my phone). Personally i think door mount would be too low, at least for me.

http://picasaweb.google.com/soundspicasa/Kegerator?authkey=Gv1sRgCNjcy5rukP6MlAE#

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard-SSV

I have Perlicks with 3" shanks. Will the Fridgidaire accept faucets that run through the door, or is it real tight?

Possibly...here is a link to my build(sorry for the low quality on most those were taken with my phone). Personally i think door mount would be too low, at least for me.

http://picasaweb.google.com/soundspicasa/Kegerator?authkey=Gv1sRgCNjcy5rukP6MlAE#

Yeah, I bought the tower and Sanyo...Getting off work in an hour, can't wait to build it. I guess I will just clean and store the old Perlicks with the three inch shanks on them.

Maybe a Keezer will be next.

Sounds I appreciate those pics! Instead of the fan idea (that I wasn't going to do unless absolutely needed) you got a great plan with the copper tubing. Resting next to those cold kegs the temp will travel the few inches to the top.:mug:

Yeah, I bought the tower and Sanyo...Getting off work in an hour, can't wait to build it. I guess I will just clean and store the old Perlicks with the three inch shanks on them.

Maybe a Keezer will be next.

Sounds I appreciate those pics! Instead of the fan idea (that I wasn't going to do unless absolutely needed) you got a great plan with the copper tubing. Resting next to those cold kegs the temp will travel the few inches to the top.:mug:

ya i dont know about the sanyo, but with the fridgidaire there's totally enough room to keep them that long and fit everything in. so awesome...the more copper exposed inside the fridge the better they will cool to the top. with the couple dry runs i did it seemed to work pretty good.

Lots-o-room for the copper. I can't believe it, but when I built the Mash Tun, the copper that was left over, is the perfect size to use for the kegerator...Beer gods smile.

Reason why I went with the Sanyo, I didn't want to move the thermometer and light on the Frigidaire. When I set the two kegs inside... there is enough to put a five pound CO2, but I want to run my line through the drain in the back as I like the option to hook my 10 lb up. My next CO2 will be a 20 lb or so. Hate to go to the store to fill bottles. I caught a kegerator pic that had a wicker basket conceiling the CO2, thought that was cool.

I found out that I have room for about twenty cans of soft drinks in the door!

Everything done except the copper, now. Screwed up and found out that I bought a wood hole saw (right after I dulled it). After the Dremil, and five metal disks, I am mostly done. I thought that I would look at your setup one more time....Oh yeah and fill my pint glass, cheers for the help:mug:

On the 4912M you can fit a cylinder and two cornies and still keep the door trims (just take out the tray-thing at the bottom). If you put a pair of 1/4" sticks on the holes that used to hold the tray-thing you can still fit (snugly) some beer bottles in the bottom tray. In total:
1 5lb cylinder
2 corny kegs
7 soda cans (door can compartment)
4 beer bottles (bottom door compartment)
2 more trays (right now I have glasses, yeast and hops on those)

Got it for 189 on Fry's (same thing, buy online for in-store pickup. The store sticker price is 250)

This one good! I can get 10 cans and 8 HB bottles in the door!

Latest posts

Back