If you could only buy one brand of beer, what would it be?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'd go with North Coast (Red Seal, IPA, Old Stock, Old Rasputin, Old #38 - my mouth is watering just thinking about them!).

Honorable Mention: New Belgium, O'Dells and Sierra Nevada

Gotta be Founder's. I haven't tasted anything by them I don't like and they have a pretty good selection.

If you held a gun to my head and forced me to choose, I guess I would say Stone. They haven't made anything I don't like. Although my wife took one sip of Arrogant Bastard and almost gagged. Light Weight...

I may be biased but I'd have to go with Surly. Can't go wrong with Furious as well as their seasonals (Wet, Abrasive, Darkness). Founders, Lagunitas, or maybe Odell's would be a close second. But then there's also Bells and Stone. DAMMIT, IT'S TOO HARD TO PICK JUST ONE!!!

There are really no wrong answers here :D What this thread is giving me is a nice list of varieties to try ASAP.

I have to agree. None of the brands mentioned are inferior beers at all. A few are offerings I haven't sampled yet and will soon.

I'm thankful nobody said Budlight. Lol.

At the moment I'm sipping on some 2012 Bigfoot from S.N. and thinking about what my next couple of batches might be.

Hmmmm.... Three Floyds, Rogue, North Coast.... those are the ones that pop into my head.... Have not had the pleasure of Russian River though.... Love New Glarus Sours, but their "normal" offerings are just "so-so" in my opinion.

I may be biased but I'd have to go with Surly. Can't go wrong with Furious as well as their seasonals (Wet, Abrasive, Darkness). Founders, Lagunitas, or maybe Odell's would be a close second. But then there's also Bells and Stone. DAMMIT, IT'S TOO HARD TO PICK JUST ONE!!!

Put in another vote for Surly. Furious, darkness, bender... I'd be perfectly content.

This is a tough one. My first instinct was Ommegang. Then I thought I should choose something local. So, I went with Devil's Backbone because they make so many styles so well. But, I'm not a huge fan of their IPA. Maybe I'll go with Center of the Universe. They're new, I like their IPA, they do numerous styles, and they have a different firkin each week.

I have clearly failed at this exercise. I'm glad I don't actually have to choose.

I would have to say Samuel Smith's Oatmeal Stout. I love that beer. And it tastes good both cold and warm...and just because I like experimenting...I used it to make Bratwurst and it was great.

Samuel Smith's Oatmeal Stout has been my go to beer for a while. Here lately I have been on a Murphy's Draught Can bender. In aworld of so many beers it's hard to decide, still finding good ones.

joshualoomis said:
russian river.

but, since i can only get it while on vacation, my vote would be sierra nevada. pale ale, torpedo, celebration, ruthless, hoptimum, bigfoot, tumbler... what a lineup.

and oskar blues as runner-up.

No love for the porter or narwhal?? Seriously everything they do is good.

I think I'd go with Ninkasi, though Deschutes, SN, and New Belgium would be close behind.

I didn't even have to think about it - Deschutes. Others, like Ninkasi, are close, but not close enough.

Frankly I'd have to say Sam Adams. They've got a complete lineup, absent maybe some Belgians and sours. If they had more Belgians/sours, it wouldn't even be a contest.

Runner-up would be Russian River. Not as wide of a lineup as SA, but what they do is all high-quality and they manage to hit a lot of styles.

Deschutes

Their porter tops my list for the style and their other brews hold their own as well...but oh that porter...mmmmm

ACTUALLY...Breweries are constantly changing seasonal recipes to get up with hop shortage/malt availability/consistency in malting in that year,
For instance i heard a lot of claims that hopslam was not the same this year.
I for one am seeing Goose Island IPA fall off the map dramaticly with hop punch and malt balance also...sux used to be a staple in my fridge!!:mug:

Also if this is the way YOU see the craft movement, maybe your looking/drinking the wrong beers? I for one dont know anybody that says...
"Oh crap, I used to love pipeworks but after they were named best upcoming brewery at GABF im moving towards drinking something else"...

I think you read wrong. I am NOT saying people should move on because people like it. Im saying I dont know why some people treat craft beer like a music/art SEEN. I love trying new beers. This thread is IF YOU HAD TO CHOOSE 1 BRAND. I was commenting on post ive read here and other sites of people dogging on someone because they drink a beer that is popular now. Doesnt mean it doesnt exist because "you" havent met them.

I honestly cant choose between firestone walker and deschutes, both have amazing ipas, deschutes has very good variety and some very delicious "sessionable" beers (im talking about you, nw pale ale), while firestone walker is very consistently high quality.

Dang it. I think I have to change my vote. I'll go with Seattle's Elysian brewery. They have some good solid regulars and frequently do experimental brews. Always something different.

Schooner Exact, Deschutes or Lagunitas. It'd be tough to choose between those three, but I think any of them would be fine.

I'm pretty surprised there's no other votes for New Glarus...

Back