Autolysis

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bruiz54

Reaction score
Ok so hear is a general question. I never had a problem with autolysis that I know of, but I was wondeering what are the sighns of autolysis? How long does it take for this to happen and what happens to the yeast when it does? What are the tell tail signs of this happening? thanks guys :drunk:

:mug: Cheers

It takes a long time, probably 3 months or so before it becomes a concern. Autolysis is essentially yeast cannibalization. After a length of time where there is nothing left in the beer and the yeast have consumed all of their stored nutrients it's dog-eat-dog time. The classic byproduct of autolysis is a burnt rubber flavor. RDWAHAHB, autolysis is way down on the list of concerns for the average homebrewer. :mug:

I haven't had a batch that suffered from autolysis, but from what I've read, if the stench doesn't make you immediately throw up, then you don't have autolysis. If it does, then there's a good chance that you do.

Back