Cleaning wort off of the stove.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mustangfreak

Reaction score
The best way to do this is? I made a de de de and I have a good size mess of wort on my stove and bleach go some of it up. But not the big time burnt parts.:(

I did the same a couple of weeks ago. I sprayed heavy with the scubbin bubbles like 3 times and then wiped off with a sponge.

They work hard so you don't have to

Barkeeper's friend is a scouring powder that works pretty well, but it still takes an hour or two of scrubbing to get it off. Burnt wort is the worst thing I've ever dealt with.

a little paste of dishwasher soap and water, kind of a thin paste, and let it sit a while on the bad spots after you scrubbed it a bit. Seems to work decent.

you can also use the stuff that is made to clean ovens. I have used it to clean burnt stuff off my stove before, works pretty well.

For anyone else who's reading this, you've GOT to get it cleaned up as SOON AS POSSIBLE. Like, take the wort off the boil and deal with the clean-up mid-brew. I've got a ceramic cooktop and scorced some wort on it, which was a PITA to clean up, but getting as much up as quickly as possible made it MUCH easier.

I stopped spilling because I hate scrubbing....and now have a burner :D

I have been known to mop up boilovers while the wort was boiling using wet paper towels. It helps immensely to get it while it's still liquid and hasn't cooked on... although the sizzling from the wet towels by the burner when you're wiping it up is a little unnerving :cross:

Oh, and if you can get it on and let it soak PBW will work with no scrubbing. I was making a starter (with the DME in there) and forgot about it boiling...until the smoke detector went off. I thought the pot was trash. Sprinkled some PBW and filled with hot water, soack over night and the pot is as clean as new. That stuff is magic.

Beerrific said:
Oh, and if you can get it on and let it soak PBW will work with no scrubbing. I was making a starter (with the DME in there) and forgot about it boiling...until the smoke detector went off. I thought the pot was trash. Sprinkled some PBW and filled with hot water, soack over night and the pot is as clean as new. That stuff is magic.

I'll look for it at wal mart when I go in a few.

Burnt carbon is really hard to remove. On my stove top I have used spray on oven cleaner with pretty good results. You need to let it stand on the area and it may loosen most of the mess.Be sure to test an area first.

Back