Backup into airlock!!!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

anne11228

Reaction score
Hello all! Im new to brewing and made a Woodfordes Nog real ale kit this weekend (first batch ever!!!). After one day, theres backup into the airlock!

I quickly made up a batch of santizer, sanitized a ladle and took some of the batch out (because the liquid was somehow up to the rim of the primary). Santized the lid and airlock again, filled airlock with vodka, and again this morning, theres backup into the airlock:confused:

So should I risk opening the batch again to pour off some liquid.....or just keep cleaning and replacinng the airlock? Is this batch contaminated already??I really hope not because this ale smells like it would be great :-(

This forum is great btw!!!

Anne

You should use a blowoff tube (vinyl tubing is commonly used) during the first few days of fermentation, then replace that with the airlock once activity has slowed down. You're probably fine, although it's best to avoid dipping anything in your fermenter when all possible to avoid infection. You don't need to pour any out. Sounds like you just needed a better way to handle the foaming, which a blowoff tube would have taken care of.

Thanks dm.
Do you think the batch is ruined, since I took the lid off and exposed it to air? The lid was off for only 10 minutes maybe?

Thanks!

No,it should be ok as long as you didn't get too rough with it & the ladel was well sanitized. But tossing out wort won't stop beersuvious. Just rig a blow off tube & jug 1/3 full of water with a splash of starsan in it & it'd been fine. It 's a vigorous initial fermentation that causes these,not infections (usually).

Your beer is fine just rig up a blow off tubes as they told you. Also, you don't have to worry about exposing your beer to oxygen at this stage. The fermentation is pushing so much CO2 out that oxygen and bacteria will have a hard time getting in. Unless you stick something in the beer but as long as it's sanitized as you said it will be fine.

Ahhh so its good stuff huh? It smells great. I bought the Wherry as well...thats the next project :p

Real ale!!!!!

Latest posts

Back