Undecided about witch primary to use. Plastic or glass ?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BronxBrew

Reaction score
So far I have two brews in the bottle. One with the kit primary "glass 5gal" and the second in a plastic bucket. My brew day is tomarrow. I have a smal starter started. Making a Autum amber ale from Midwest "extract kit". My first brew "Amber ale" I rushed a bit "drinking as I'm typing, it's awsome". It was in the 5gal glass carboy. My second batch was a wheat beer in a 6.5gal bucket.

Although the bucket seemed fine "short fermintation 2weeks". The Autumn amber ale I'm about to do calls for 6 weeks. Some how I'm thinking longer than 4 weeks would be better in the glass than plastic ? I don't rack to secondary's . Unless dry hopping or adding something. For some reason I didn't feel comfortable with the bucket ?

Since this is going to be a possible 4 week fermintation . In a Freezintation chamber with controller. glass or plastic ?

BB

Doesn't matter, they both work fine. I've never used glass carboys, I use buckets for primary and Better Bottles for secondary, when I actually use a secondary:) I will say a 5 gallon carboy is a little small for a 5 gallon batch, no head space so if that's the route you go be sure to use a blow off!

The only time i don't use a blowoff is when I'm making cider, apfelwein, or skeeterpee. And i did have to change out my airlock for a clean one on my batch of apfelwein, because it did eject krausen the first day, with red star premier cuvee yeast.

I am using all glass fermenters so far. But i admit to some concerns about durability. One of my 6gal carboys (paklab from amazon) got used exactly once. Dunno what happened but when i lifted it, empty, out of my plastic utility sink where I'd been cleaning it, there was a crack all the way around the bottom except for about one inch. I set it carefully on the floor and tapped that inch with some tool i had handy and the bottom broke clean off, so i put both pieces in a cardboard box and put that in the trash.

I have a lot more confidence in my 3 used industrial chemical carboys. The new production ones for-brewing, I am concerned that perhaps they are just recycled window glass and not very strong. But when someone puts phenol or nitric acid in a glass carboy, they have a severe need to be confident in the packaging. I'm just annoyed that my acid carboys are 18L and don't fit a full 5 gallon batch. The 6.5g phenol carboy holds 7 gallons easy and is already my favorite primary after a single batch.

Back