Would you drink this?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OHIOSTEVE

Reaction score
Trying to come up with something for my bud drinkin buddys.
5.5 GALLON BATCH

6 LB 2 ROW
2 LB VIENNA
MASH AT 150 FOR 60 MINUTES

1/2 OZ FUGGLES @ 60

1/4 OZ FUGGLES @ 15

1/2 OZ FUGGLES @ FLAMEOUT

NOTTINGHAM YEAST FERMENTED IN THE LOW 60'S

I know nothing about making recipes, so feel free to tell me I am an idiot. I have goldings, cascade and centenniel hops also. I think there is 1/4 oz of magnum also. I have some other malts but wanted to keep it simple in case it is good I can reproduce it easily.

I would use 12 pounds 2row & 1 pound vienna and a couple ounces of hops... but that is just me.

Are you going for an ordinary bitter? The bitterness is really, really low. So low as to be unbalanced IMO.

I would do more like 1.5oz Fuggles for 60 minutes, and 0.5oz at 15.

yes I would drink it...but i also would up the 2-row to maybe 8-9 lbs.

i think he's going for lower a lower bitter beer for the BMC crowd, so i'd shoot for ~ 20 IBUs.

Might just check out the Cream of Three Crops recipe. add some vienna to it.

yes I would drink it...but i also would up the 2-row to maybe 8-9 lbs.

i think he's going for lower a lower bitter beer for the BMC crowd, so i'd shoot for ~ 20 IBUs.

Might just check out the Cream of Three Crops recipe. add some vienna to it.

bingo.. going for something really low in bitterness. I read that bud is about 11 IBU. so thought to keep around that.

Bud also doesn't have a trace of hop character. Anything but a bittering add will incite comments that you dumped a fruit salad/flower garden/pine tree in the beer.:p

yeah but its not gonna be a Bud clone, so I still think you ought to up it to ~20. Ease them into bitterness/flavors. If they want Bud, they should buy it.

i dont know about cloning bud or if it will help your recipie out... but you mentioned (cascade hops)... I heard cascade hops are really good though... the guy I bought my brew stuff from grew them and swore by them!

Not really trying to clone BUD.. just something that bud drinkers will like. I have already made the centenniel blond with the hops cut in half.. very popular, but there are still a couple who think it is too......something or another. I haver planned to brew the last 2 days and haven't gotten to yet.

Back