Troubleshooting beer out tap - Help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

au1991rx

Reaction score
I tore down and cleaned a keg, put beer in, carbonated, aged etc. I can't get it to dispense beer. I have pressure in the keg - pulled the release to check. I have swapped cobra taps - same result. The posts on these kegs look pretty simple. What could be totally blocking the flow?? I should probably release pressure on the keg and tear down the post again but before I did I thought I would ask if there were any other troubleshooting tips. Thanks.

Do you have the right posts on the right side? gas and beer and different.

If so, the out may not be all the way down

push in the poppit on the out side. If it sprays a bit, there is nothing blocking and what I said in my previous post is almost certainly the issue.

It sprays good - put your hand over it or something or you'll get a face full of beer

If that's the case, switch them. The out usually has some type of groove it in so you can tell them apart in the future.

OK here goes - Gas in side has grooves on the base - when I push the valve in I get CO2 release. Beer out does not have grooves and when I push the valve under pressure I get just a little bubble or two of beer (no spray), then it stops. If I understand I should swap the posts, right ?? Thanks.

I know this should not be so difficult. I switched the posts. Now the gas in side (which used to be on the beer out side) has a very tight fit w/ the gray gas in connection. This post has no groove on the base. The short gas tube is under this post. Its base has six sides. The out post (which was on the gas in side) will not fit the black cobra tap connector - too big. It is star shaped with small grooves cut into the side. When I push the valve down on the beer out side now I get nothing. I need to swap them back I believe. Could the long pick up tube be stopped up??. I primaried 1 week, secondary 2 weeks, then kegged - left alot of gunk behind that did not make its way into the keg. I am scratching my head. Thanks Again.

I'd pull everything apart - posts, tubes, poppits and all. Make sure everything is clear. Then check which post is which by clicking them into place and reassemble.

ICE ... In the pick up tube, about a 2 inch plug. It looks like some water stayed in the tube from where I cleaned the keg before putting the beer in. My thermometer says 33-34 but I guess the very bottom of the freezer is a few degrees colder. I do like my beer cold. Thanks rdwj for the help. Props.:rockin:

rdwj said:
yep - grooves are on the out. And you'll feel a difference when it clicks in

The post with the "grooves" machined into the flats is the gas in post not the liquid out post. The photo depicts three different styles of ball lock gas in posts.

John

keg-posts.jpg

johnsma22 said:
The post with the "grooves" machined into the flats is the gas in post not the liquid out post. The photo depicts three different styles of ball lock gas in posts.

John

keg-posts.jpg

ya, I got it backwards. :drunk:

Latest posts

Back