Still kinda confused on mash/sparge temps thing!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JOHN51277

Reaction score
Ok, I have read alot on A/G and I only have about 4-5 AG brews under my belt so far. I am hitting the gravity, and the beer is good. Im just not sure I am doing it how I am supposed to. Here is what I am doing:
Heat 1 qt/lb grain to 165-170. pour water into tun, add grain, stir. It usually settles about 153-158 for an hour. I then vorlauf till clear, drain completely and then add the calculated water to get to 6.5 gallons boil volume, let it sit for 10 minuted, vorlauf, and then drain to keggle and start the boil. Are these mash temps good, bad, Im still confused. I do understand the cooler mash temps seem to lead to a drier beer, and the higher temps lead to less attenuation therefore leaving more mouthfeel to the beer. Help a brother out!!

I like to have my mash/sparge runnings close to equal if possible. I usually mash in with 1.25-1.5 quarts per pound of grain (I think 1 quart per pound is pretty thick) and then sparge with up to .5 gallons of water per pound of grain, up to my boil volume.

Ok, I have read alot on A/G and I only have about 4-5 AG brews under my belt so far. I am hitting the gravity, and the beer is good. Im just not sure I am doing it how I am supposed to. Here is what I am doing:
Heat 1 qt/lb grain to 165-170. pour water into tun, add grain, stir. It usually settles about 153-158 for an hour. I then vorlauf till clear, drain completely and then add the calculated water to get to 6.5 gallons boil volume, let it sit for 10 minuted, vorlauf, and then drain to keggle and start the boil. Are these mash temps good, bad, Im still confused. I do understand the cooler mash temps seem to lead to a drier beer, and the higher temps lead to less attenuation therefore leaving more mouthfeel to the beer. Help a brother out!!

Everything else being equal, yes, you are correct.

Eric

Back