Conditioning a wheat or keg now?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jaja

Reaction score
I've done an AG wheat and used wyeast 1010 American wheat to ferment it.

Its only been a week but its done and wont drop any more based on the same recipe in the past with the same gravity etc. Same process, same starter...

This is a pretty clean wheat yeast so am I better off still leaving it for longer similar to the two weeks I normally leave stuff for? Give it a chance to clean up any off flavours etc or treat it as its a wheat to drink fresh and chuck it in the keg now...?

How long do you guys leave your wheats after they appear done?

Another day gone in the fermenter...

no one does wheats?

I've never used that particular yeast, so I can't provide a real opinion on your question. I usually use Notty for my American wheat beer (my Minute Wheat recipe listed in my signature), which ferments fast and goes straight into the keg for serving. 14 days from brew to drink, I'm of the mind that faster is better for such a crisp beer.

Wheats are usually good young...but 7 days is a little premature IMO.
I'd give it another week on the cake and then keg.

Or keg it and let it sit at 70F for a week then carb it up and dump the first pint to get the yeast outta the bottom of the keg.

I love wheat beers and have made a few but not with that yeast stran. However, I always leave mine 3 weeks in primary, then straight to keg, carb for a few days (maybe a week) then drink quick.

They are best young. But you risk the yeast not fully doing their job (other than fermenting) if you rack off primary too soon. I would just let it sit. If you bottle your beer, then I would begin the bottling process after 14 days....that should be enough time for the yeast to clean up and junk.

Latest posts

Back