Wine Yeast Aggresiveness

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FensterBos

Reaction score
Out of recommendation from my LHBS employee I used Lavlin's D-47 (wine) yeast for my cider. I pitched yesterday morning after adding yeast nutrient and brought the fermentor upstairs at around 66 F (yeast range is 59F to 68F).
How vigorous should I expect a wine yeast to ferment during its initial stages? I've usually seen the airlock display at least a bubble at this point when using beer yeast. Should I run out and get another back to pitch?

It can take as long as 72 hrs to see signs of fermentation, I'd wait at least that long.
If you really feel the need, you might give it a good stir with a sanitized spoon of course, yeast need O2 at this stage.
Regards, GF.

I gave the wort/must a good stirring before I pitched the yeast and added the recommended 1 tsp of nutrients/gallon prior to pitching; I also hydrated the yeast in must prior to pitching. I suppose my concern is that either the yeast is bad or that there was still some campden tablet left in the solution, but I waited the recommended 24-hours.
This is the first time I am using wine yeast and making cider so I wanted to pick the brains of this forum.

I gave the wort/must a good stirring before I pitched the yeast and added the recommended 1 tsp of nutrients/gallon prior to pitching; I also hydrated the yeast in must prior to pitching. I suppose my concern is that either the yeast is bad or that there was still some campden tablet left in the solution, but I waited the recommended 24-hours.
This is the first time I am using wine yeast and making cider so I wanted to pick the brains of this forum.

Wine yeast are usually pretty slow and steady. Just stir it up again with a sanitized spoon and wait it out. When you stir, you may notice some bubbles being released- that's usually the first sign that fermentation has begun.

Back