Washed Yeast Worries (all grain newbie)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BradleyBrew

Reaction score
Hey everyone, I just reused my yeast cake but instead of just pitching the wort on top of the yeast cake i decided to siphon the yeast cake into 4 mason jars to a quick wash of the yeast and clean my fermenter.

I basically had 4 mason jars about 3/4 full of yeast cake. I let it settle until there was a nice white layer on top of the trub, about 1" of white suspended (what I suspect were yeast) liquid and then some remaining beer.

I pitched all 4 top layers down to the trub after aerating my new wort. I thought I had over-pitched. Its been 12 hours with no sign of active fermentation?? My experience from pitching on a yeast cake were very explosive fermentations... Does it sound like I did something incorrect?

Its wyeast British Ale (second generation) about 3 weeks old, and had a fine 1st generation fermentation. Any help or advice would be great! Should I just relax and have a home brew? Well, I will most likely do that regardless lol! :mug:

Yeah starters are good, but I was under the assumption that pitching that much viable active yeast the same day would not require any type of starter?

What was the gravity of your previous beer? Just wondering if you are pitching tired yeast as one possible reason.

What temp are you pitching at and into what temp wort?

It was a new castle clone right at 1.050... the wort fermented around 70 and I pitched at 77... its hard to get to cold during the summer with water tap temps at 80+ :)

I say relax as you should be fine. I've normally had explosive fermentations on reused/washed yeast - but it's not always the case. Have another craft brew and I'm guessing you'll wake up to air lock activity.

Back