Not sure about my fermentation process.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pdazbrew

Reaction score
I am brewing my first batch and I am not sure if my fermentation process is over . I bought a true brew all malt amber ale kit from my local brew store and put it into the fermenter 5 days ago. It has been churning pretty steady ever since. I thought that the activity in the Carboy would be settling down by now. I still have about two inches of craisen on top and my airlock is still bubbling pretty good. According to the instructions I'm supposed to bottle the day after tomarrow. does this sound normal? Or should I wait longer to bottle?

Take some hydrometer readings. If it stays the same for a few days then it's done. Bubbles in the airlock are an unreliable way to tell if fermentation is done. Just be sure to sanitize your hydrometer before putting it in your beer.

You will find alot of people here let their beers set in primary for a month. You are also going to get alot of people to tell you do get a hydrometer. That is the only way to know that the fermentation is done. I will say it does seem if you are getting bubbles on a consistent basis then it is likely that your beer has a few days left before it is done.

Let it sit. Kit instructions notoriously rush the process. Let it go at least 2 weeks, take your gravity readings to make sure it's done, and then bottle.:mug:

Back