Infected

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rowespencer

Reaction score
My cider is infected....it was fine through fermentation but I left it for a couple extra weeks in the carboy and just yesterday I noticed it's growing a nice layer of crusty white film on top. This has just appeared within the last 3 days. My question is, can it be salvaged if I syphon off and leave the goop behind or is it a loss?

THX!!

Hey, siphon it off the nasty and taste it. Infected doesnt always mean nasty, and nasty now doesnt always mean nasty later. Ever heard of a lambic?

I say rack it to a clean container and let it age for a while, you may love it...

The only thing you have to lose is a few cubic feet of storage.

I syphoned it off....tastes decent, other than being really young. I drank a couple of glasses and haven't died yet, so I think it might be ok. I didn't bother carbing it, given the uncertainty of its condition, but I did spice some of it and add honey and brown sugar...quite tasy actually (those I put in the fridge).

Back