After Fermentation is Temperature less important?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

maltoftheearth

Reaction score
I have a temp controlled freezer that is currently at 65 degrees and has a Scottish ale sitting in there. It LOOKS like fermentation has finished (I have yet to take a gravity measurement) and would like to brew a different beer this weekend and drop it into the freezer as well for temperature control.

What would happen if I brewed another batch of wort this weekend and removed this batch from my freezer? I would like to brew a pilsner but fermentation temps from that would put all my lovely Scottish ale yeasties to sleep.

My home will be around 68-72 for the next couple weeks. This is MOSTLY within the range of the yeast strain used for the Scottish Ale (http://www.whitelabs.com/beer/strains_wlp028.html). What do you think? Can I let that ale sit in a slightly higher temperature?

That should be fine. Precise temp control is king during active yeast growth, but from there you have more wiggle room. I wouldn't let it get into the 80s, but beyond that I regularly do exactly what you are describing,

+ raising the temperature for last few days will allow yeast to reduce many intermediary fermentation compounds.
So, go and brew another batch.

I do it all the time. I leave my brews 2 week in the fermentation chamber, then I take them out for the last week and let them sit at room temp (72-73).

You will be fine.

Having it sit at about 70 might be good for it. You might think about cold crashing after a couple of days at the higher temp though, just to help clarify it.

That's a good idea, especially since I forgot to add whirloc at the end of my boil. From my POV that is the last thing I will kick myself for missing on brew day, though.

Back