Crazy for Sours!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ChadChaney

Reaction score
I love sours and fortunately for me, so does my wife. I currently have WL Belgian Sour Blend, Roselere, Brett Lambicus, Lacto, WL Berlinerwiesse, and some Bugfarm. I have several glass carboys and a few better bottles. Here is my question, I want to make 2 base beers and ferment them with the different cultures and see what characteristics I like. Am I safe to ferment for the long periods of time needed in the better bottles, I would love to pick up some more since the price is better than carboys. Also, just checking, but I do not need to rack off the cake for 1 year beers do I? Looking forward to getting started on this project ASAP.

Better bottles are fine.

You do not have to rack off the cake but leaving it on the cake with increase the funky flavors while racking it will give you less funky but still noticeable funk.

Thanks man, just the answer I was looking for. Is it true that with each generation the beer will sour more quickly?

Thanks man, just the answer I was looking for. Is it true that with each generation the beer will sour more quickly?

In my personal experience this has been the case. Also I would say that the sour note is more intense in later generations. This is all personal experience though so your mileage may vary.

Better Bottles are just fine. I just have dedicated sour Better Bottles, you know, just in case.

BTW, Northern Brewer is having a sale on carboys and BBs, code: CARBOYSALE. 25% off.

Better Bottles are just fine. I just have dedicated sour Better Bottles, you know, just in case.

BTW, Northern Brewer is having a sale on carboys and BBs, code: CARBOYSALE. 25% off.

Thank you for this, finally getting that better bottle I've wanted!!

Back