Somewhat flat after conditioning

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GeoGirl

Reaction score
I brewed up a batch of a Honker's Ale clone and after leaving it set in the primary for about a month, I bottled it up. Popped open the first bottle after 2 weeks of bottle conditioning and it just seems a bit flat. No head when poured and no tingle on my tongue. It does have a good taste to it though.

Now, I know the fermenting was not ideal. I had a helluva time keeping the temps down (temps were running in the mid to upper 70s (if not higher) during fermenting), but surprisingly, I hit my mark on gravity.

I am not stressing over this as I knew it was a risk brewing but I'm curious about if these higher temps could have to do with the low carbonation in the bottles. Any chance that if I leave them set for a while that they might develop more or should I just start cooking up some beer bread and boiling up some brats.

what temp are they conditioning at? low 70s is ideal... let em sit 3 weeks, and make sure you refrigerate them for at least 48 hours before trying one, those should both help.

But there is some carbonation, right? If so, this is good - they may just be conditioning slower than average. If after 4 or so weeks, if they're about the same, agitate the bottles gently to get the yeast back into suspension to eat up all that delicious priming sugars.

Good luck!

Ime,the average ale is rarely if ever carbed & conditioned in 2 weeks. 3-4 weeks is pretty standard for them to be properly carbed & conditioned. Give'em more time,& they should be fine.

Lucky137 - They are conditioning in one of the cooler spots of the apartment, right about 73*

Organ - I primed with 5oz of priming sugar headed up with 1 cup water, pouring part of it in at the start of racking and the other part in about mid-way through racking. I think it was Revvy who posted about doing it that way.

Just give them more time, two weeks isn't enough. At least you know the taste is there, so you're already ahead of the game. They'll improve week by week. Revvy often preaches that 3 weeks at 70 is the minimum, and I've found him to be correct.:mug:

This was my 3rd brew and the first one since moving into this hot a@@ apartment. Each brew has had a different issue with them. Guess that's just part of the fun :) Thanks for the reinsurance guys.

Back