Optimum Clearing: Primary? Secondary?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FishinDave07

Reaction score
I have a brown ale bubbling away right now in which i use WY3068. I know i wont get a crystal clear beer due to the hefe yeast's low flocculation.

Would i be better off leaving it 2 1/2 weeks in the primary in hopes the yeast will pack into a tight cake or should i rack to seconday after fermentation is over.

I guess what im trying to say is would the beer benefit from being:

2 1/2 weeks primary, 1 1/2 weeks secondary
OR
1 1/2 weeks primary, 2 1/2 weeks secondary.

Or does it really matter at all?

Regardless of what i choose i'm going to keep the secondary in the high 50s and use gelatin.

leave it in the primary for a week after it has reached it's target gravity...AND THEN rack it into a the clearing vessel and leave it for 2-3 weeks ;) the longer the better and you don't have to worry about off flavors from the primary for months...all it's going to do is let the yeast clean up after themselves in the primary and then let everything clear in the secondary.

i usually go the 2-2-6 method.

if i were to choose from your to options, i would go with the 2.5 in primary, 1.5 in secondary.

EDIT: in other words...really, it doesn't matter that much as long as your gravity is finished before you rack to secondary.

For me my beers have been clearer and cleaner tasting if I leave them 3-4 weeks in primary, and then straight to bottle....no secondary necessary, and the yeasties do a remarkable job of cleaning up after themselves.

Back