Specialty Grains you keep on hand

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hedgehogbrew

Reaction score
I am heading the brewing store later and going to purchase specialty grains. I was just curious on what types people kept on hand so they didn't have to order or sojourn to the brewing store every time they wanted to brew.

I usually keep a gambit of Crystal on hand (right now I have about 3/4 lbs each of 10, 20, 60 and 120) as well as cara-pils and roasted barley.

I've got C-40 and C-60. Also have Victory. I also keep some Cara-Pils on hand for a smidge in each batch. I really want to get some Carastan to keep on hand for a New Zealand Ale I make. Of course a bunch of 2-Row.

after i get loaded up at the store, i like to have two pounds of c20, 40, 60, 80, 120. a pound of chocolate malt. 2 pounds of carapils. 10# wheat, 1# roasted, 1# rye, 1# flaked wheat/barley. 2# flaked corn. and maybe some special b, aromatic malt. That way i'm set for whatever i feel like brewing.

It may be a little overkill, but i hate to delay my brewday or make a special trip because i don't have a 1/4 # of some malt.

Back