Fermentation Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mitsub96

Reaction score
Brewhouse Oktoberfest Cream Ale Kit
OG 1.046
FG 1.010
Temp 23 Deg C 75 Deg F

Within 24hrs of starting this kit fermentation was on, it foamed to the top of my primary 7gal, and was almost completely disapated within 72hrs, I racked to a secondary as per instructions and there has been very minimal bubble action since? Could it be done fermenting that quick? fg was taken when I racked to secondary.

Thanks

Well, you probably unnecessarily moved it into a secondary too soon, but otherwise if you take a gravity reading for a few days in a row and it doesn't change, then fermentation is done. That doesn't mean it's ready to bottle since you'd like to give the yeast some time to clean up after themselves.

But to answer your question about speed, it is certainly possible for fermentation to complete in just a few days.

It may have been sooner than necessary, I was just following instructions to the "t" since it is my very first brew. Thanks for your speedy answers and I look forward to spending some time on this forum with some experienced brewers!

With you fermentation temps at the upper end of the range, it's entirely possible that your yeast can be finished in three days. Trust that hydrometer, as the previous poster said, it won't lie to you. I see you are in SW Michigan. Let me put in a plug for Bell's General Store in Kalamazoo. Great selection, good prices and some VERY experienced staff that can help you select the right stuff.

Hi everyone, noob here (to it all).
Sure wish I had somebody experienced that lived nearby that wouldn't mind walking me thru the entire process but since I don't have that luxury I'm really hoping you guys here will forgive my asking the same question(s) that every noob prolly asks.
For those who will humor me I have the same situation as mitsub96, only I waited four days to transfer to second stage and brewing seems to have stopped at the same time.
The "bell" of my airlock is raised tho, so I assume that gas is still being produced but I have yet to see it actually bubble.
Do I open the lid to the bucket and check the gravity for a couple days now?
I am clueless as to what I should do next.
Any suggestions?
Thanx

greenspider, you probably racked before the yeast had completed its job. By removing it from the bulk of the yeast it may not do anything for a few days while it's building the yeast back up to finish. Many of the instructions that come with kits are bad. They are written to sell lots of kits, not make great beer.

Wait a couple weeks and take a reading. If you absolutely can't wait, it will not hurt to take a reading but it wait a least a couple more weeks before doing anything else. We really don't like it when folks bottle too early and run the risk of bottle bombs. :eek:

Welcome to HBT!

Back