My Attempts of Salvaging my Cigar Collection

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brauhaus

Reaction score
Alright, being a huge cigar lover I'm ashamed that my collection has gone so long without my usual attention in making sure that my stogies are doing well...

My current setup used to be a closet with a digital thermo (with an additional hydrometer), humidifier, and humidors. I had the closet set up in a manner where my humidors and cigars were attempted to be kept around 70% humidity... well, it's being taken over!

With the additional of another child on the way in 2 months my wife has begun nesting after many months of festering about clothing, new furniture, etc, so I am loosing my cigar closet!

So now it's time for a little DIY on creating a cool-i-dor! Things I will need for this project:
  • Cooler (medium to large size)
  • Humidors
  • Cigar boxes
  • Hydrometer/Thermo
  • Humi-Care Gel and/or RH Beads

The cooler I purchased at Wally World for $16, it was on sale a few weeks back, not bad for a medium sized cooler... keep in mind for this project, use a medium to large cooler, those little personal sized coolers aren't going to be much use to store many cigars... perhaps a mini cooler would be good for a travel type deal... anyway...

I have 2 humidors left from my collection (gave 2 to a friend), and I have the digital hydro/thermometer, as well as the addition of a few cigar boxes all I need to do is purchase some RH beads within the next day or so.

Anyway, the purpose of a cool-i-dor is simple, it will serve as a large humidor for many ceegars, and the nice thing, since it's a cooler it will help maintain the temp inside since it's well insulated, and best of all, it will retain moisture more efficiently.

I will come back and edit this post with pictures of my progress as time goes on...

Step 1: Clean out our cooler twice (2 times) so help remove the "plastic smell" use only DISTILLED WATER (can be purchased very cheaply anywhere, in my case well under $1 each.

Let the cooler air out for the night, this will help get rid of the plastic stank and help air it out.

Purpose: Distilled Water doesn't contain chemicals/minerals found in bottled water, or well, or public water, these chemicals (chlorine, fluoride, etc.) aren't recommended for cigar storage as they will distort the taste, smell and overall feeling of your cigars.

Step 2: You'll need to "condition" the cooler properly before throwing your sticks in there, so for this step you'll need to "prep" the cooler.

Take a rag, papertowel and moisten it with the distilled water, wipe the walls of the cooler with the towel so that it leaves the walls damp, moisten your cigar boxes (make sure these boxes are wood and not cheapy cardboard!) and be sure to make sure everything is nice and damp.

Place inside the cooler.

Now add the desired amount/correct amount of RH beads to your cooler to help maintain a constant humidity... the formula I found is:

In this Article

Purpose: the cigar boxes will retain moisture and help you organize your cigars, they'll help maintain moisture when you open and close your cool-a-dor as well.

Step 3: Place your hydrometer/thermo in the cooler and allow the cooler to condition for about a day or so... you'll want the cooler to maintain a ballpark of 70deg F with 70% humidity (i say ballpark b/c maintaining a constant 70% humidity would drive you into a nuthouse). Monitor your setup after a day or so, once you are happy with the numbers add your cigars, monitor after a day and you may need to add more DISTILLED WATER to the cool-i-dor to help balance the offset from drier ciagrs.

For more ideas:

http://www.stogiefresh.com/buildyourown.htm

http://www.stogiereview.com/09/26/2006/how-to-build-a-coolidor/

http://how2dostuff.blogspot.com/2007/11/how-to-build-humidor-for-cheap.html

http://www.igtc.com/~pmm/tupperdor.html

That should work out jsut fine. If you rememeber my post a few weeks ago about getting all of my cigars, we have one cooler humider that my boss set up. I think he said he's been running tha cooler for about 2 maybe 2.5 years now. works great, youwouldnt get all the plastic smell out soon enugh, but let that thing air as much as possible!!

Good luck, I'm having another cuban tonight, my old man just came into town with some 25 year old scotch!

My buddy just told me, get some ceder!!! you dont need to line the cooler, but get some small planks, 3"x4"x1/4" like 4-5 of them, they'll help season the cooler and hold mositure as well.

My buddy just told me, get some ceder!!! you dont need to line the cooler, but get some small planks, 3"x4"x1/4" like 4-5 of them, they'll help season the cooler and hold mositure as well.

that's what the cigar boxes are for, most of the boxes I have are constructed from cedar, Spanish Cedar to be correct.

These will help organize the cigars I have, and help retain moisture.

well its sounds that your on the right track. You'll just need to baby sit the HELL out of them for the first 2 weeks. I can not stress watching them enough. Chekc them once in the morning and once at night. They shoudl start low, then spike high. It'll take about 10 days for them to settle out. Mine at home are finally getting to the magic 70% after 2 weeks

well its sounds that your on the right track. You'll just need to baby sit the HELL out of them for the first 2 weeks. I can not stress watching them enough. Chekc them once in the morning and once at night. They shoudl start low, then spike high. It'll take about 10 days for them to settle out. Mine at home are finally getting to the magic 70% after 2 weeks

well, if it's like when I first started this hobby a few years ago, I'm in for the roller coaster.... :rockin:

well, just an update:

Last night I went to the local mall in hopes of going to a cigar shop there to pick up some RH beads and some other accessories when I noticed that the cigar shop is GONE!? wtf

Lucky for me (and I don't know why I just didn't go there in the first place) there is a cigar shop right near my house, so I stopped in and they were all out of RH beads, but they did have some humidor accessories so I bought some humi-sticks and decided to get my humidors back in shape before making the coolidor...

so far I have everything but the RH beads which I'd rather just wait until the shop gets them in stock...

I went through my collection and despite throwing away a half dozen sticks, I still have a decent amount left.

after the baby went to bed I decided to fire up a Rocky Patel Mini Vintage 1990... it was damn good.

Well tomorrow I go out to my friends house to pick up the rest of my collection. So I think my total will be up to....350 ish....damn, I need to get rid of some of these. I love a good cigar, but I don't smoke them all to often. I know that I will never have to pick up any for atleast 10 years!

So, Brae, if you ever come to the DC area, let me know, I'll show you around and we'll burn some of these bad boys.

Back