Does Crash Cooling Effect Bottle Conditioning?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KMOX

Reaction score
I have a Kolsch in primary right now, and I'm thinking that crash cooling when it comes to secondary time would help clarify a bit - but does crash cooling drop out too many yeast to allow for proper conditioning?

All the research I've done points me to discussions from people who only keg/force carbonate their beer.

I bottle in 22 ouncers.

I've had good experience with getting carbonation after crash cooling and even lagering, but you could always add just a pinch of rehydrated yeast to your bottling bucket with the priming sugar (after the priming solution has cooled) to be sure.

I've had good experience with getting carbonation after crash cooling and even lagering, but you could always add just a pinch of rehydrated yeast to your bottling bucket with the priming sugar (after the priming solution has cooled) to be sure.

How much is "just a pinch"? How long do you crash cool? Do you let the beer come to room temp before pitching the pinch?

I've crash cooled (4days) and used gelatin on a beer last month. Took a month to carbonate. Came out just fine. Just plan on an extra week (or 2 with 22 oz.) and you'll be fine.

Latest posts

Back